computer to AVR connection is not to my liking -- HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the closest topic I could find for my question. I have a Yamaha v863 (hdmi 1.3) and an ASUS mb with an hdmi 1.2 port. I nicely send my signal over it to play my collection of flac etc files (via MediaMonkey)

The problem is the connection. Unless I have the AVR on when the PC boots up, Windows 7 reports the ATI HDMI port as being disconnected. Oddly, I can power cycle the AVR starting from a connected state without this problem.

Is there a way to prod Windows to "plug in" the HDMI port without having to reboot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. It's probably your MB. I would check the ASUS site to be sure you have the latest firmware.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of the complex system issue I can't ascribe blame to one particular party, but this system is such a piece of crap that I am constantly checking for upgraded bios. I've got what ASUS has to offer.

So, I am still looking for a Windows solution. Is there anyway to kick an ATI HDMI port short of rebooting the computer?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is the handshake issue. PC does not see anything on the other end and shuts the connection down. This cause me untold aggravation with my HTPC - it would 'forget' about the AVR and TV any time AVR was turned off or switched to another input.

The only solution that REALLY worked was Gefen HDMI Detective Plus This (currently) $85 tiny box goes between PC and AVR. It captures EDID from AVR, and stores it. Then, it always presents PC with this EDID, regardless what state AVR is in. PC just thinks that AVR is always connected, powered on, and set to input from PC.
MarkHotchkiss likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I put my audio out over a fanless video's card HDMI and don't have such issues. I quite often turn the computer on first before the AVR.

I did use to have that problem when I was using USB to a DAC. I always had to make sure I had the DAC power up first, otherwise the computer didn't know it was there and would configure itself for another audio device on boot up.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page