I have an (approximate) 18 x 12 living room and don't know where to start - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FamousRealName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I know there's blanket info out there to point me in the right direction, but I'm hoping someone is bored and knowledgeable enough to give me some firm info. I have an 18 x 12 living room with about 9 feet of space between my sitting spot and the 40" Toshiba Regza that I'm riding till its death. I'm currently using a Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar and pretty disappointed with it. Oh, it's also a hardwood floor, if that matters?

I made a diagram of my living room for a visual aid:
44EONJd.jpg

Right now, I'm leaning toward a Denon receiver with Polk Audio 5.1 speakers. But that's me basing my opinion mostly on brand recognition. I am, by no means, a convinced buyer, so please -- let the pendulum swing with more opinions and info. At the moment, I'm thinking 5 speakers may be overkill in my living room. (I also hate the idea of running wires along the molding.) Would a 3.1 work? The thing I want most is to be consumed by bass.

Thanks for any help, folks. Looking forward to learning more around here.
FamousRealName is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Soundbars ARE rather poor in most cases.

I suggest the following:

Get a pair of Pioneer BS-22 speakers from Amazon for around $100.

These are SO much better than any other speaker you can get for under $250 that it makes them a steal.

Then get a Onkyo TX-8255 receiver for around $140, and you will have some very nice sound.

Does your old TV have analog audio outputs, or just a digital output?

If it has only a digital output, you will need to get a digital-to-analog converter, which only costs around $20 from Amazon.
FamousRealName likes this.
commsysman is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What kind of budget do you have?

What kind of sources do you listen to?

If you listen to a lot of movies (or even TV that has 5.1), I'd definitely get 5.1 (2.1 will be way better than just 2 ch). My biggest piece of advice is don't skimp on Sub. I just upgrades to an SVS SB13-Ultra: it transformed my sound system.

You could look at a decent soundbar (if you don't have space for front speakers) and a good sub to start and then add satellites later

I'd personally steer clear of Onkyo if heat is at all an issue (i.e. it's in an enclosed space). My $2.2K Onkyo died because the cheap B&$^&*%s used 85-degree rated capacitors. What did that save them..10c?

You could look at wireless speakers to solve your issue of running wires (you obviously need power to them, but don't have to run anything to the AVR. Make sure you get WISA compliant ones (not too many on market). They will be compatible with multiple vendors' products and quality is great (technology avoids pitfalls of most other wireless designs). I interviewed the founders of WISA and listened to prototypes at a trade show (you how problematic wireless is at these). Sounded incredible and not a glitch. I wrote a short article here: http://www.hometoys.com/emagazine/2012/10/home-theater-in-a-box-redefined-by-wisa-systems/2051

Regards

Mark
FamousRealName likes this.
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FamousRealName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

What kind of budget do you have?

What kind of sources do you listen to?

If you listen to a lot of movies (or even TV that has 5.1), I'd definitely get 5.1 (2.1 will be way better than just 2 ch). My biggest piece of advice is don't skimp on Sub. I just upgrades to an SVS SB13-Ultra: it transformed my sound system.

You could look at a decent soundbar (if you don't have space for front speakers) and a good sub to start and then add satellites later

I'd personally steer clear of Onkyo if heat is at all an issue (i.e. it's in an enclosed space). My $2.2K Onkyo died because the cheap B&$^&*%s used 85-degree rated capacitors. What did that save them..10c?

You could look at wireless speakers to solve your issue of running wires (you obviously need power to them, but don't have to run anything to the AVR. Make sure you get WISA compliant ones (not too many on market). They will be compatible with multiple vendors' products and quality is great (technology avoids pitfalls of most other wireless designs). I interviewed the founders of WISA and listened to prototypes at a trade show (you how problematic wireless is at these). Sounded incredible and not a glitch. I wrote a short article here: http://www.hometoys.com/emagazine/2012/10/home-theater-in-a-box-redefined-by-wisa-systems/2051

Regards

Mark

I do a lot of gaming on the PS3 & my fiancée uses the Xbox for her Kinect; we stream most movies through the AppleTV, but jump into my Blu-Ray collection on the PS3 every now and then. But I'm pretty sure all those are optimized for 5.1 output. I definitely don't want to skimp on the sub. My only concern is buying one that's so powerful that it kills the receiver. Is that even possible? I remember my friend's old shelf system dying out because the speakers were too strong.

No enclosed spaces for me and my living room is fairly cool, so I think Onkyo will be okay. Otherwise, am I good to go with Denon? My fiancée is convinced we should get this one: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DHT-1513BA-Channel-Theater-Acoustics/dp/B007R8U5RG. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend since I wrapped my mind around staying below $500 if I bought piece by piece.
FamousRealName is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousRealName View Post

I do a lot of gaming on the PS3 & my fiancée uses the Xbox for her Kinect; we stream most movies through the AppleTV, but jump into my Blu-Ray collection on the PS3 every now and then. But I'm pretty sure all those are optimized for 5.1 output. I definitely don't want to skimp on the sub. My only concern is buying one that's so powerful that it kills the receiver. Is that even possible? I remember my friend's old shelf system dying out because the speakers were too strong. .

No such issue with the sub as it is a an active device. You are feeding a line level signal and the amp in the sub does all the work
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousRealName View Post

No enclosed spaces for me and my living room is fairly cool, so I think Onkyo will be okay. Otherwise, am I good to go with Denon? My fiancée is convinced we should get this one: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DHT-1513BA-Channel-Theater-Acoustics/dp/B007R8U5RG. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend since I wrapped my mind around staying below $500 if I bought piece by piece.

I don't know much about systems in the $500 price range, but I do keep hearing rave reviews about the Andrew Jones deigned Pioneer 5.1 system. (He designs $80K systems TAD). A friend of mine bought a Mirage OmniSat 5.1 system that isn't bad for the price, but the bass (or price smile.gif) will be nothing like the SVS stuff
FamousRealName likes this.
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FamousRealName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I honed in on some Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers on Amazon today, too. The FS52 and the SW8MK2. Thinking of buying those first and then building around it if I want upgrades. I'm liking what I've read of the Denon AVR 1513 but would Pioneer speakers play better with a Pioneer receiver? It's about $50 more than I wanted to spend on a receiver, but I understand that it offers a little more control over the sound.
FamousRealName is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Newbie
 
tougeeco5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
tougeeco5 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off