Corner TV Room(sigh) setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I know, corner TV's are awful for surround configuration, but really its our only option.

We just got the house and I purchased a Pioneer VSX-1122-K Receiver. I haven't purchased speakers yet because I don't know what kind of setup to use.

Here is our room setup and really the only way to have furniture in the room:

Ideally I would like to get a 5.1 setup, but realize that the room setup is not "ideal" for this.

Is there a way that I can mount and aim speakers here to get a decent 5.1 setup?

Here is a picture of the room the day we moved in:

TV stand is getting replaced with a real one(not Ikea junk), so if there are any options I have with mounting somehow to maximize space for speakers that is fine as well. Keep in mind there is space for that stand to go deeper into the corner, it was just out a bit for ease of connecting cables.

Is it frowned upon to mount a speaker just above the fireplace and aim it downwards?

Thanks in advance!

As for other options to make more space in that corner, I was thinking of perhaps mounting the TV similar to this:
....but not sure if that would even benefit me much compared to a tv stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I think for your setup what I would recommend is either getting a 3 channel passive sound bar and adding surrounds and a sub, or get a 5 ch or 7 ch surround sound bar and a sub.

The only other way I see to make a normal speaker setup work with your room layout ( AND I HATE TO EVEN SUGGEST THIS) is to mount the TV over the fire place with the center speaker either above or below the TV aimed to listener's ear level and then speakers on either side of the fire place for your front L&R,and surrounds and a sub and I'd probably try front left or right corner for a starting position for the sub.

Shawn
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzamorski113 View Post

Here is our room setup and really the only way to have furniture in the room

Your corner TV setup could be fine, though that's not the only way to place your furniture. I'd put the main couch at an angle so the person sitting in the center is looking straight toward the TV. The couch should also be closer to the TV. Then you'll have lots of room to put all of the speakers at the correct places, even if some have to go on stands. This way you'll have better video (closer to the TV) and also good sound.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Interesting idea. I suppose I could surprise my fiancee and move the couch a bit.

I could then put a surround speaker on a stand or just on the bay window there. The other surround on the "left" side would have plenty of wall or floor space to be placed.

Then I'll just have to figure out the tight spacing by the tv itself. Not much room for L/R speakers there at ear level.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I suggest that you stick with a 2.1 setup.

The layout is all wrong for additional channels.

This will also allow you to concentrate your money on fewer speakers of higher quality and the sound will be better.

Sometimes better is better than more.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Liked: 12
How commited are you to the current furniture layout? First post says "Here is a picture of the room the day we moved in". That is from a week ago. Things are likely to change over the next six weeks to six months.

Is primary use of the room to entertain guest, or have a home theater, have a room for the kids, or a "man-cave".

I am sure if you give this group flexibility to change things around,a budget, your priorities, and constraints, a nice Living Room HT could be designed for you by moving things to places you may never have thought of.

A wall mount is very permanent, so you may want a cheap stand for a while until you have things where you want them for the next ten years.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 101
jzamorski113,

Do you really need that fireplace? Are you going to use it? If not, getting rid of it would solve (almost) all of your problems for a living room HT setup! YMMV. smile.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page