couch on back wall, speakers how far from corner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading the myriads of threads on "couch on back wall, where to place speakers", I've decided to mount the rear speakers of my 5.1 system on the side walls pointing towards each other. However, I've also read that the speakers shouldn't be placed directly in the corners. How far away from the back wall should the speakers be placed? I would think you'd want them as far back as possible, somewhere behind the listeners ears if possible, but how close to the wall is too close?

Also, should I try to angle these speakers slightly towards the back wall in an effort to reflect the sound from behind the listener? Or is the usual 'above the listeners ears by 2-3 feet and pointing at each other' still the best recommnedation?

Just for background, the speakers are part of the Yamaha YHT-399UBL HTIB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 911
I would put the surround speakers in the corners. The nearby reflective surfaces will diffuse the sound and aid in envelopment. The wide spread will maintain strong left-vs-right separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why wouldn't you put them in the corners? It would definitely aid in envelopment as mentioned above, but the purpose of surround sound is to give that sense of feeling like you are hearing 360 degrees of sound from various locations; left and right, front and back. You don't want those rear speakers anywhere in line with the viewers though, you want them recessed back a little obviously. But due to acoustics, you're going to get a more realistic sound by allowing the speakers to sit in the corners. It's definitely a difference of depth in terms of the listening experience. For sub-woofers, place them wherever the heck you want, direction doesn't even matter. Usually I'll place them somewhat close to the viewer, as with a little bit of "umph" you can get even the vibrations to give off an added effect of realism too. smile.gif

[Microsoft Developer MVP - 2012 - Present]
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Technician & Aspiring Programmer
post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Sanjay offers good advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBacon View Post

However, I've also read that the speakers shouldn't be placed directly in the corners.

That is typically the case for front left and right mains, for response smoothing and proper imaging, ... as they often benefit from being placed out away from boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBacon View Post

How far away from the back wall should the speakers be placed? I would think you'd want them as far back as possible, somewhere behind the listeners ears if possible, but how close to the wall is too close?

In a 5.1 system, you ideally want the surrounds about 10 degrees rearward of the listening position. They will be fine in the corners, and I prefer them aimed directly at the primary LP.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page