What should be the best practice for given scenario. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all
So here is my situation, my source is PC with Flac files played using Foobar (wasapi). PC is connected with Marantz 1403 by digital coax directly distance 50ft, speakers are Infinity 163 and subwoofer. The problem is that the sound I'm getting is very mushy, weak and lacks clarity unless I turn all processing way up in the receiver but then again it sounds very processed and artificial. Even the sound from Roku using Spotify thru same receiver seems to have a better soundstage than my PC source. I mostly use the setup for listening to music so it has been a big disappointment. I'm willing to add components(external DAC, media server or amplifier) to get better soundstage other than changing speakers. This step will be using mostly for listening for music so please tailor suggestions accordingly. Any suggestion will be welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Ethan Winer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Fifty feet is pretty far for a coax run, but that's probably not your problem. From your limited description I'll guess the problem is acoustical in nature, and no equipment upgrade will help that. How large is your room? Can you post a photo? Do you have any acoustic treatment?

--Ethan
kaalpurush likes this.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Have you listened to the signal as it moves through your system?
- Do you like the sound quality at your PC?
- Does the headphone output of your Marantz sound different from your speakers?
- Does a shorter coax cable sound any different?

Ethan's right that it could be a room/speaker interaction, and that's one reason I suggest headphones as a diagnostic tool. If you love the sound quality out of the Marantz with headphones but not speakers, Ethan's likely right!

Have fun,
Frank
kaalpurush likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I would check source settings. Make sure no DSP or other processing is applies on the PC (Sound in control panel) and that volume is turned up to 75% or more. Check the same in foobar. If everything looks good I would suspect the cable. I've used 50' monoprice toslink with good results, but as stated it's a pretty long stretch.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Ethan & Frank

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have any acoustical treatment in my room other than curtain on the left window side, if that counts as such. Part of the floor in front of speakers has carpet and speakers are mounted on 36' stand. I attached a drawing of the room for better understanding. When playing from PC the sound becomes more pronounced on low and high end and mid frequencies get subdued but that does not happen as much while streaming from Roku using spotify, Roku is connected thru analog. This seems puzzling to me.

I'll give the Headphone method a try tonight. Never thought about it before.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page