Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I can't find an impedance curve for your exact speakers online, but this appears to be a similar device from the same manufacturer:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/martinlogan-montis-loudspeaker

I would not expect their engineering to vary tremendously.

The reviewer says:

"Either way, that this speaker is a difficult load for the partnering amplifier to drive is compounded by the high electrical phase angle, and ameliorated only by the fact that music rarely has high levels of energy in the top octaves."

Your AVR has preamp outputs that facilitate connection of an extrernal ampliifer, and if the fan doesn't work this would be your next best choice.

While I am an advocate of AVRs this particular speaker is a difficult load for any consumer amplifier, and operation in tandem with 8 other speakers is questionable to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I tend to agree that running anything in parallel with the ML's is too much a load for the AVR. I also wonder if the AVR is oscillating...

I'm going to pretend I don't understand a word you guys are saying, and asking for it to be repeated in layman's terms, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I also wonder if the AVR is oscillating...
My first thought too. Many amps won't enjoy such a capacitive load.
Try the AVR with a conventionl pair of speakers and see if the issue remains.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISnakeEyes View Post

I'm going to pretend I don't understand a word you guys are saying, and asking for it to be repeated in layman's terms, haha.
When someone designs an amplifier, they make some assumptions about the electrical characteristics of the speaker. Usually, that assumption holds for vast number/models of speakers. In your case, you have one of those speakers which falls outside of this norm. We call such speakers "difficult loads." Such difficult loads take more power and/or cause the amplifier to do unnatural things. The former is what Arny said, the latter, Don. Oscillation means the amp starts to create its own signal and sing that tune much like you get when a mic is too close to a speaker. Such oscillations though could be above our hearing frequency limit where they tax the amplifier and speaker but you don't hear them. You would need instrumentation to know if your amp is oscillating.

Either way, it is a situation where over time the amp is getting too hot and its safety system shuts it down. The solutions are what we proposed: an external amp to take the load off or try to keep the current AVR cooler with fans.
GISnakeEyes likes this.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much, Once the fan's come in I'll let you know.