Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-29-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi all,

I'm putting together a new PC audio build which I want to have high quality multi-channel and 2-channel audio performance. As you would imagine, the speakers are all "near field".

Speakers:
5 classic Infinity Entra Point Fives (14-15 years old, but still state of the art today and sound beautiful near-field)
The sub will be one of these 3 choice that I'm still mulling over Martin Logan Dyanmo 300 (ported), Dayton Sub-800 (ported) or I still might go 'all in' and buy an SVS SB-1000 (sealed).

Now comes the choice for the multi-channel receiver. The main dilemma here is.......which automatic calibration method will be 'best' for 'near-field' listening.

In my main home theater, I'm using Pioneer's MCACC, mainly to control standing waves. The subwoofer in the MCACC auto-calibration is NOT TOUCHED. In the living room, with a well placed sealed sub, this is not a problem. However in a small bedroom with a sub sitting right next to me, not having any EQ on it could be a problem.

So, my main question here is for any professional studio person, or other knowledgeable person, when designing/calibrating sound for 'near field' listening, are standing waves a large issue that 'NEEDS' calibration? (I imagine that sitting in direct proximity to the speakers, and inside a 10'x12' bedroom with very little distance from the listener, might negate the need for standing wave adjustments). How important will EQ'ing a subwoofer become 'near field' (I imaging it might be more important when you can't control where you place it in the room).

So, Pioneer's MCACC might not be optimal in the near-field, but in all honesty, I haven't designed a studio-type 'near-field' system before, so I'm not sure what the principles for perfect calibration are. I would appreciate advice on whether my instincts on this matter as described are accurate or inaccurate.

Next, if I'm right, then MCACC won't be the best calibration method for near-field listening. That then begs the question, if not MCACC, then which auto-tune would be best? Audyssey? YPAO (Yamaha)? EZsET (Harman)?

In my limited comparisons so far, I am leaning towards trying Harman Kardon's EzSet auto-tune and picking up a used AVR-254. This may or may not be an ideal choice. So, if there are any gurus who have calibrated or understand the principles of proper 'near-field' listening calibration, please advise.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page