Can I use MUCH smaller bookshelf speakers for Audyssey WIDES compared to my larger Front Towers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can I use MUCH smaller bookshelf speakers for Audyssey WIDES compared to my larger Front Towers? confused.gif

My Front Tower type speakers inclusive of the Left Front, Right Front and Center channels are all identical in design and each D' Appolito (MTM design) speaker is comprised of (2) 6 1/2" Woofers, (2) 3 1/2" MIdranges and (1) 1" Soft Silk Dome Tweeter. All (3) identical towers are behind an acoustically transparent screen and all speakers used will be Atlantic Technology brand.

For the Wide speakers I would like to use MUCH smaller Monopole Bookshelf speakers that are comprised of (1) 4 1/2" Woofer and (1) 1" Soft Silk Dome Tweeter that has the same design as the Towers speakers. The reason I want to use the much smaller Wide speakers is that I want them to be as unobtrusive as possible being that my room is 12 1/2 feet wide and I will have to mount the speakers more forward on the side walls to reasonably adhere to the generally accepted speaker geometry.

The (3) Front Towers are rated at 100-200 watts RMS and will be powered by 200 watts and the small bookshelfs are rated at 10-100 watts RMS and I will be powering them with 125 to 150 watts.

I don't know how much content is pumped out via the Wides and guess my real question is will the small bookshelfs be able to handle the task? confused.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Audio is all about compromises sometimes. The most important thing is making sure your wides are sonically matched to your fronts. You don't want a timbre shift between them and the mains. Assuming you are crossing over at 80hz (and or you don't listen at reference), you should be able to get away with smaller speakers than the mains, otherwise you will find them running out of steam before the mains do.

If you already have the speakers, the best thing for you to do is try them for yourself. That way you will be sure, based on your listening conditions, and expectations, if they will work or not . smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 3 Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I agree regarding compromise, but want to suggest an additional perspective beyond timbre matching from someone who runs front wides.
- they are not ambiance signals, expect them to be driven to output levels similar to the LCR
- if you use small, less sensitive speakers, your room correction will drop your LCR signal level until they all match, leaving you with an obvious weak link.

So, small wides that are 6dB less sensitive than your LCR result in -6dB cut to the LCR, so the wides receive 4x the wattage of the LCR speakers. If that's not appetizing, match sensitivity and power handling across the front as well as timbre. Clearly, reduced power handling is the less of these evils, as you're only talking 3dB delta in headroom between 100 and 200W.

Have fun,
Frank
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page