Digital to Audio Converter that will handle surround sound input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic Viera P50GT50.

I am still in the analog stereo world and want to use Digital to Analog Converter to via the Digital Out with a TOSLink fiber cable to a Digital to Audio Converter with stereo RCA output.

So far so good. There are many of them.

HOWEVER: The typical DAC behaves like this one: NOTE: The FiiO D3 only supports PCM audio signals and does not support Dolby, DTS, or other surround sound signals. Therefore, it is important that the digital audio output of your device defaults to or can be set to PCM/LPCM output. Otherwise the sound output will be noise/static.

On my TV, I can find no way to set the Digital Output to be PCM or LPCM. Some of the individual sources such as Netflix can be set to output stereo and not surreound-sound, but I have found no way to set it so that every source presents PCM or LPCM to the Digital Output.

So, it appears that I need a DAC that will handle the various surround sound formats and convert them to analog stereo.

Does anyone know of a Digital to Analog Converter model that will convert the various surround sound formats to stereo before outputting to the stereo analog audio output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Most Panasonic TVs only output stereo PCM, except for signals from off air tuners or apps acquired by the TV. What sources are you trying to send from the TV?
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Hostricity,

I'm assuming that you need to hear the audio from the TV's internal tuner, which is either Dolby-Digital 5.1 or stereo LPCM. If so, then Gefen makes THIS. Notice that it doesn't support DTS, but that is because over-the-air broadcasts can't use DTS.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page