Multi-Zone Setup w/ A/V Receiver Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly beginner when it comes to complexed A/V, did a bunch of searches and can't find an exact solution. Hoping some one could help me, would be greatly appreciated!

Goal:
Setup multi-zone speaker system for the following areas

(Speakers already mounted and wire ready to be plugged in)
1) Patio (2 Polk Atriums)
2) Kitchen (1 6 1/2' in ceiling speaker)
3) Living Room (2 6 1/2' in ceiling speaker)

5 Total Speakers

Additional Goals:
-Patio will have TV outside, so would like to use A/V receiver as the only receiver instead of standard amp/stereo receiver
-Receiver must have airplay capability (looking into Yamaha V5 or V6 series)
-Run a cd player through the setup (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQU4YY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)
-Don't need different music or volume in the different zones, just to be able to turn a zone off when not needed (ie. Patio in the winter).

Additional Notes:
-Have Impedence Matching Volume controls in all 3 areas to control volume (already mounted and ready to be plugged in)

Initial thoughts:

I was thinking to use the following setup but not sure if it is the best route or will be loud enough and reliable.

-Yamaha V573 as the main receiver - due to needing to work with the TV outside
-OSD Audio ISS6 6 Zone Speaker Selector - to switch between zones. Yamaha receiver has only 2 zones so need an option to switch between 3 different speaker setups. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001YIKP1G/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)
-Route the "Zone B" from the receiver to the speaker selector, then run the speaker cables/impedence matching volume controls into the speaker selector.

I'm trying to avoid having to buy 2 amps and just using 1 high powered a/v receiver. Want the volume to be loud enough and think it can considering its only running 5 total speakers but need some feedback as to if this will work and be reliable.

Questions:
1) Will this setup be reliable long term and not put too much strain on the receiver?
2) Will this be loud enough to power 5 total speakers (2 outdoor, 3 6.5' indoor ceiling)?
3) What type of A/V receiver would be best for this setup? Wattage? Functionality
4) Do I need a "Zone B" or "Zone 2" Receiver if I'm using speaker selectors? Or can i get away with a single zone receiver like the Denon E400?
5) Because I have 3 Zones (living room, kitchen, patio) is a 2 Zone receiver pointless?
6) Any recommendations for a quality reasonably priced speaker selector?
7) What do you feel would be the best setup considering the budget below?

My budget to complete this setup is about $600 total (for cd player, receiver, speaker selector)

Thanks for your help everyone!

Cheers,
Jay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page