Question about ARC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a Yamaha RX-A3020 AVR. It is replacing an Onkyo 717. My TV is old enough to not have an ARC channel but it is HDMI equipped. All my sources, Satellite DVR, PC BD-DVD are connected to my AVR via HDMI. The signal goes to the TV with a HDMI cable. I am having trouble getting anything that resembles decent sound. Do I need to run a COAX cable from my TV to my AVR? This set up was working just fine with the Onkyo without a COAX cable. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
No, you do not need a coax cable from the TV, which is used to feed sound from the set. Your audio is coming from each component, not the TV.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete424 View Post

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-A3020 AVR. It is replacing an Onkyo 717. My TV is old enough to not have an ARC channel but it is HDMI equipped. All my sources, Satellite DVR, PC BD-DVD are connected to my AVR via HDMI. The signal goes to the TV with a HDMI cable. I am having trouble getting anything that resembles decent sound.

What is indecent about the sound with the new AVR?
Quote:
Do I need to run a COAX cable from my TV to my AVR?

That shouldn't be required.
Quote:
This set up was working just fine with the Onkyo without a COAX cable. Am I missing something?

Not unless there is some sort of a configuration problem with the Yammy.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

The AVR seems to need to be turned up very high to get any amount of volume and even then the sound only seems to be coming from the fronts and the center channel. When running the set up routine all 7.1 channels ring out loud and clear. Its only after applying the measurements that the problem becomes apparent. My speakers are fronts: Polk Audio TSi300s, center: Polk Audio CS10, surrounds: Polk Audio M10s and the backs are small Klipsch. The sub is a Polk Audio PSW110. I know the weak spot in my set up is the speaker system but I would expect them to sound at least as good with the Yamaha as they did with Onkyo. The Yamaha wants to call the center and fronts large and everything else small. Should I force the fronts and center to small? I am getting little or nothing out of my sub. I appreciate the advice.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Most setup programs set the front speakers to large. But they can, and should, be changed to small. The center, too. You can also raise the crossover if the setup program sets it too low.

It seems odd that the volume is fine when running YPAO but drops way off when playing an actual source. Some DVDs have calibration tones. Do those sound OK when you play them?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I am not aware of the tones you refer to. I put a Blu-ray disc in yesterday but I really had to turn it up, a lot. Spotify premium from the PC as well. I am going to run the set up again and see what happens
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

They are often called THX Optimizer and are available on a number if Disney DVDs.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I ran the set-up program and the audio is awesome. I must have made a mistake earlier. One more question. I have an optical out that I want to run to a Emotiva amp. How can I make sure the signal is a PCM, two channel signal?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Is that an Emotiva power amp?

If so, you can't feed it a digital signal full stop. All power amps (well 99% of them) take a line level analog signal, either via RCA (unbalanced) or XLR (balanced) connections.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page