Help, unable to locate speaker wire, Pics. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a recent foreclosure purchase where the previous owner decided to take everything he could unscrew.

Theres 2 ceiling speakers in the master bedroom with a volume control and the 2 more speakers and a volume control in the family room. I replaced all of these and now looking for the source location to power the speakers.

This is the downstairs volume control, two speaker wires going to the ceiling, the other wire going down but not sure where:
9240430004_b2a8e3f03a_z.jpg

Theres a jack lower down on the wall with cable/ethernet connection and inside the box I pulled out some speaker wires (just loops no ends):

9237676495_b6c053e272_z.jpg
IMAG0824 by amdspitfire, on Flickr

and the relative location compared to the volume knob.

9237658801_e06a091308_z.jpg
IMAG0822 by amdspitfire, on Flickr

Any idea where I should be looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I would be looking in the living room / family room where an entertainment system lived and probably supplied audio signals to those in-walls from a AVR with multi-room outputs or additional amps. The wires might go to a wall plate or come up through the floor. I would go into the crawl space below or the attic above those rooms as the wiring was probably added after the house was built to find them and follow them. I've done that with alarm wiring in my house.

If all that fails, there are in-wall cable locators with an injector and a tracker. They connect one unit to one end of a wire to inject a low power radio signal onto the wire and there is a hand held tracker you use to follow the wire - borrowed one from a tech at work years ago but I don't know if you can rent one or buy a cheap one that would do the job.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

I would be looking in the living room / family room where an entertainment system lived and probably supplied audio signals to those in-walls from a AVR with multi-room outputs or additional amps. The wires might go to a wall plate or come up through the floor. I would go into the crawl space below or the attic above those rooms as the wiring was probably added after the house was built to find them and follow them. I've done that with alarm wiring in my house.

If all that fails, there are in-wall cable locators with an injector and a tracker. They connect one unit to one end of a wire to inject a low power radio signal onto the wire and there is a hand held tracker you use to follow the wire - borrowed one from a tech at work years ago but I don't know if you can rent one or buy a cheap one that would do the job.

Looked all over the living/family room and haven't found any other signs then the wire in the picture. I'm worried they cut and stuffed the end somewhere. There's no dual gang box at a lower level even.

I went in the crawl space below and there was no wiring down there. Home is 2 story, so the small attic area has a run of the speaker wire but no clue where it leads to. Newer construction so wiring was done where they wanted.

I think I got to go try the cable locators, pretty silly for a small house.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Liked: 32
Time to go purchase a Fox & Hound set. Along with one of these http://zircon.com/products/edge_ms_pro_sl.html You can connect a 24vAC transformer to the lines and induce a AC voltage. Cannot find the spec's on if the Zircon will sense 24 Volts, so you may want to email their support.