Sound Issue With Samsung Plasma TV & Samsung Surround Sound & Over the Air Antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently gave DirecTV the boot and have moved to a HD Antenna & Roku 3 setup. I seem to have an issue each night watching NBC nightly news (occurs other times as well but this is consistent). When I tune in to watch it the sound effects are normal sound but the voices are ridiculously quiet. When it goes to commercial the sound is normal. In order to hear the news reports I have to put the volume at 50 but as soon as it goes to commercial it is SO LOUD. Does anybody have any thoughts/suggestions? My current set up is:

Samsung HPT5054 50" Plasma HDTV - Input Set To "TV" I have the audio optically output to my surround sound: Samsung HT-TX72 DVD Home Theater System which is set to "Digital In"

I have had the TV & Surround Sound for 6+ years, never had any issues when I had DirecTV, there are no sound issues when I watch Roku. There are actually no issues when I watch the local news at 6PM before the nightly news comes on. To say I am baffled would be an understatement.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions or need anymore info.

FYI - I'm in Raleigh watching WNCN on channel 17-1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
How does it behave using the plasma panel's audio and speakers? Also, your plasma is supposed to have an "auto volume" feature. Have you tried it?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZC-Boston View Post

...There are actually no issues when I watch the local news at 6PM before the nightly news comes on....
What format are you transferring via the optical cable? I'm no expert on all the formats available, but...

It's possible that the local news is mixed in stereo, and quite likely that the national news is 5.1. Some digital audio formats only carry 2 channels, so you could be missing the center channel signal that carries most of the dialog. Looking at you rmanual, it states that it will pass 5.1 from the tuner/OTA source through your optical cable... perhaps there's another setting that's interfering?

HAve fun,
Frank
post #4 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Since you're only noticing this with the NBC nightly news, have you contacted the station engineer at WNCN to see if there are any issues with their audio transmission? You might also check the Raleigh thread in the Local HDTV section here on AVS to see if anyone else is having issues OTA. Your TV should be passing 5.1 audio from the tuner without problem.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

How does it behave using the plasma panel's audio and speakers? Also, your plasma is supposed to have an "auto volume" feature. Have you tried it?

larry

Have tried that, it didn't seem to matter either way but thanks!
post #6 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Since you're only noticing this with the NBC nightly news, have you contacted the station engineer at WNCN to see if there are any issues with their audio transmission? You might also check the Raleigh thread in the Local HDTV section here on AVS to see if anyone else is having issues OTA. Your TV should be passing 5.1 audio from the tuner without problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out tonight (and try without hooked into surround sound as well)
post #7 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so some interesting developments...audio is fine through the TV speakers so the issue must be on my end. Any thoughts on what might be going on given my latest update? Or anything else I should try? Again today, sound fine during regular news at 6, not good at 6:30 national news...
post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody have any thoughts here on my issue? The more I use it the more sound issues I have. It is really inconsistent, when I'm watching Roku and using Amazon Prime Streaming some shows are fine, some shows there is no dialogue and yesterday when I was watching golf I couldn't hear the commentators at all, just the surrounding sounds. Does this help at all? FYI - I don't have any other issues streaming Hulu or Netflix.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

A lot of the issues you're reporting point to a problem with the center channel on your home theater system. Except the inconsistency is baffling and if you're now having problems from the Roku as well that just adds to the mystery. When you had Direct TV, your TV set was likely only outputting 2 ch stereo, whereas with OTA the output would be DD5.1 when it's available. So now there's a center channel signal that the theater wasn't getting before. However, I'm assuming the Roku is connected via HDMI to the TV. If so, then the TV should only be sending 2 ch from it as well so my theory sort of goes out the window. eek.gif
post #10 of 17 Old 08-12-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yes the Roku is connected through HDMI.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-13-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Double checked the audio settings on my TV last night, there really aren't many to play with and none of them changed anything.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Your receiver should tell you the format of the audio it is receiving and the number of channels. Is there a type that doesn't work?

The TV manual says the output from the tuner will be 5.1 on channels that are broadcasting in 5.1 while external devices are limited to stereo PCM:
Quote:
When the receiver is set to On, you can listen to the TV sound through the 2-channel(Stereo)
Sound. This is not always true. When TV is displaying DTV(air) TV can send out 5.1 channel
sound through SPDIF. But when the source is DVD(for example), TV can receive only 2 channel sound using HDMI.
In that case, 2 channel sound is only transmitted to the Receiver through SPDIF.

Also, your home theater appears to have an HDMI input that you can use for the Roku. Find a source that is giving you problems when routed through the TV and then try it direct to the receiver. Does the problem go away? If so, that would mean the source is fine, but something is going awry in the routing through the TV. HDMI direct from the Roku to the receiver using HDMI is better anyway as that will support discrete 5.1 audio.

One other thing that might be a workaround for the occasional show such as NBC NN that doesn't have a good center channel: set the receiver to stereo rather than DD 5.1.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

One additional thought. Have you checked the speaker settings on the home theater to ensure all are set properly, and have you run the test tones? Long shot but worth checking.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Your receiver should tell you the format of the audio it is receiving and the number of channels. Is there a type that doesn't work?

Also, your home theater has an HDMI input that you can use for the Roku. Find a source that is giving you problems when routed through the TV and then try it direct to the receiver. Does the problem change? HDMI direct is better anyway as it will support discrete 5.1 audio.

I'll check this tonight. Thanks!
post #15 of 17 Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^^ It looks like I updated my post right after you quoted the original.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

My problems have been solved with a little help from everyone! So Possumgirl pointed out I might have issues with my center channel, which I assumed was working fine but when I double checked last night it was not. "Interesting" I thought as I checked the wires on the back of the speaker and then proceeded to the back of my receiver. Boom! Right then and there I noticed that the wires for the center channel were not plugged in! I couldn't believe it. Who knows how long this had been going on but I didn't check it originally because that wasn't something I touched when dropping DTV. However, it was right around that time my girlfriend was moving around our entertainment stand, so I will blame her! As far as the Roku issues, I switched that around with BIslander's suggestion to use HDMI to my receiver and that solved that right away. Now I am golden, thank you all so much!
post #17 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear that all is good now. Thanks for letting us know!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page