Liked: 10
Hello friends.
I already have a 5.1 system in my house
Marantz sr 6006
B&W 684 theater 5.1
Epson tw9000w projector

My current setup is this:
qs2p.jpg

Lots of people told me that since my sofa is near the back wall i should use dipoles for the surounds.

So since i am moving to a new house in a while i have a dillema....

should i keep my 5.1 setup but change the back monopoles with dipoles and placing them a little front of the sofa's sides like this....?
cq0x.jpg

or should i make it 7.1 by keeping the monopoles on the back of my sofa and adding two dipoles on the front sides of the sofa like this..?
6l0p.jpg

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since it looks like you're purchasing dipoles regardless, you can try option 2 but I would go with option 1.

Whatever you decide but placement is off on both counts.....with dipoles, your ears need to be at the "null" area of the speaker so move them back alongside the couch. And make sure they are at least ear level if not higher.

The placement of the monopoles is too far apart, should be more centered behind the couch. Even then they should back farther so I dont think 15" is gonna cut it.

But hey, you never know. Try it and see.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamurabi View Post

Lots of people told me that since my sofa is near the back wall i should use dipoles for the surounds.
That recommendation doesn't make sense. Dipole speakers have drivers pointing towards the front wall and back wall of the room. Can't use them when your sofa is near the back wall because one set of drivers will be pressed against the back wall.

With a 7.1 set-up, you're better off using monopoles all around to get clearer rear-vs-side directionality in the surround filed. In fact, I would simply get another pair of 686 surrounds to match the ones already in your set. However, in order for a 7.1-speaker layout to be effective, the main seating area has to be well away from the back wall.

How big is your new room going to be?

Sanjay
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamurabi View Post

I agree with the others that dipoles are not a good choice here. In fact, I never suggest dipoles. The more important problem of sitting directly in front of a wall is the strong "early" reflections from that wall. If this were my setup, I'd sit much closer to the speakers and screen, and also put absorption or diffusion on the rear wall behind the couch to reduce the strength of the reflections.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page