How Is Bass Divided Among Speakers If No Subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the bass divided among speakers if there is no subwoofer in the home theater system?

If a 5.1 system has identical speakers all around with 15 inch woofers and all of the speakers are set to "large" on the processor, does the serious bass get evenly distributed to all speakers? Say, like an explosion or a dinosaur stomping?

Is there much serious bass info sent to the surround speakers if they are set to "large"?

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY ROOM AND SYSTEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
The full signal would be sent to all speakers as available from your source if all your speakers were set to large. Even 15 inch woofers on speakers won't ensure you get the max content in movies, as LFE content can go quite low (3 Hz). Subs are a better solution generally.

PS I'm just speaking of the normal frequency range for the regular channels, i.e. the bass in the signal simply goes to the speaker when set to large. If by serious bass you mean the .1/LFE channel, as the others say, for LFE being redirected to speakers that's going to depend on your processor/avr.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If all the speakers are set to LARGE (or Full-Range), then each speaker would be sent all the bass that is encoded in each particular channel.

And, even though there may be a (scant) few processors that allow the LFE channel to be routed differently, almost all processors split and route the mono LFE channel to the front L/R speakers, solely, when configured as having no subwoofer connected.

Of course, it varies from soundtrack to soundtrack, but, yes, there CAN be "serious bass info" encoded in the surround channels of certain soundtracks.

It is not just the LFE channel that can contain really low info. All the other channels (including the surround channels) CAN have really low bass info encoded in them, too. When using bass management (i.e. SMALL), this info is routed to the subwoofer along with the LFE channel. If there is no subwoofer, then any low bass info from any speakers set to SMALL is routed, along with the LFE channel, to the front L/R speakers.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I believe that most receivers send LFE to the L/R mains in systems configured without a sub. When speakers are set to large, they play everything in the channels. When the center and surrounds are set to small, frequencies below the crossover are redirected to the L/R mains.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The reason I am asking this is because I have neighbors on both sides of me that I share a common wall with. A subwoofer is totally out of the question. So, I want to configure the system whereby I get all the available bass in each channel. I can do without the .1 bass in the LFE channel, my neighbors won't stand for it. The speakers that I'm considering with 15 inch woofers only go down to 38 hz, but that's plenty for my system if I don't want the neighbors to call the cops on me.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 123
You can try it two ways. If you configure without a sub, then LFE will likely be redirected to the L/R channels. If you configure with a sub and set speakers to large, then LFE will be sent to the non-existent sub and will simply be discarded. Either way, the full range channels will play whatever bass originates in those channels.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I say set all speakers to large with no sub, and then use the master control to regulate the volume. I would also say the same thing if you had a sub. If you had a sub, you could lower the sub trim by 3-5db as well as set the correct master volume. Without a sub, you can't "lower the trim".

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I suggest headphones. Even if you were to keep the bass in each respective channel you will still be producing bass that will cause disturbances. Mid range bass is the most annoying to people which can be created by cheap boom boxes and mini systems everywhere. The front channels produce most of the bass even if the other speakers are set to large as well since most movie and music content carry most of the soundtrack. Also unless you have a perfect acoustics you bass will be extremely spotty and will most likely sound like garbage. One of the least talked about advantages to having a LFE is that you can place a subwoofer in the spot where the bass sounds it's best because often times the locations of the other 5 speakers are in a less than idea placements for accurate bass reproduction. In the end having headphones with the help of things like Yamaha's silent cinema will sound worlds apart better than having gimped setup due to trying to keep the noise level down. If I hadn't bought so much equipment before I moved out of my parent's house a long time ago I would have saved myself all the pain of having loud stuff in all the apartments I've lived in and just bought some nice headphones and a Yamaha receiver. It wasn't until the end of my apartment days that I started looking for bass kickers to install on my couch and a nice pair of headphones. I ended up moving into a house and now I'm finally free. If I had to do it all over again though I would have just bought some damn headphones.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

I suggest headphones. Even if you were to keep the bass in each respective channel you will still be producing bass that will cause disturbances. Mid range bass is the most annoying to people which can be created by cheap boom boxes and mini systems everywhere. The front channels produce most of the bass even if the other speakers are set to large as well since most movie and music content carry most of the soundtrack. Also unless you have a perfect acoustics you bass will be extremely spotty and will most likely sound like garbage. One of the least talked about advantages to having a LFE is that you can place a subwoofer in the spot where the bass sounds it's best because often times the locations of the other 5 speakers are in a less than idea placements for accurate bass reproduction. In the end having headphones with the help of things like Yamaha's silent cinema will sound worlds apart better than having gimped setup due to trying to keep the noise level down. If I hadn't bought so much equipment before I moved out of my parent's house a long time ago I would have saved myself all the pain of having loud stuff in all the apartments I've lived in and just bought some nice headphones and a Yamaha receiver. It wasn't until the end of my apartment days that I started looking for bass kickers to install on my couch and a nice pair of headphones. I ended up moving into a house and now I'm finally free. If I had to do it all over again though I would have just bought some damn headphones.
I don't really like headphones/earphones because the I got the feeling that the sound is always in my brain. I prefer the sound to emit in front of me, not from my brain.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I don't really like headphones/earphones because the I got the feeling that the sound is always in my brain. I prefer the sound to emit in front of me, not from my brain.

I can certainly understand that and I'm totally with you on that one, but the OP is in for a world of pain if he thinks there is going be any way that an external speaker setup of any kind will not cause a disturbance with his neighbors. Trust me on this one. I got away with it for about 5 years because my neighbors were college kids who also liked to make noise and party so my equipment didn't bother them. The day those kids moved out and a single mom with kids moved in was the day that all came to an end. Luckily I moved out shortly thereafter. It's like having a fast car that you can only drive at 5 mph. It's not fun. I was looking into headphones at the end because Silent Cinema actually sounded very good. It was much better than stereo. I was looking into bass shakers for my couch because I found that the shaking of my seat really brought the bass I was hearing to life. If I had lived there another year I would have gotten headphones because every time the new neighbor heard the slightest peep they would start punching the walls and then call the leasing office.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page