Best sound connectivity between PC and Yamaha RX-V1900 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all, just a few questions regarding connecting my PC to my Yamaha rx-v1900.

I have just upgraded from a Yamaha rx-v1400 to a yamaha rx-v1900 . the reason i did this was i was offered the 1900 for a ridiculous price, so i could not turn it down .. the main 'advantage' of it is the inclusion of HDMI.

as the yamaha rx-v1400 does not have HDMI , i was running optical (SPDIF) from my PC's onboard sound to the yamaha receiver. I was advised that i did not need a sound card and to let my amplifier handle all of the processing. So i ditched my sound card (was using 5.1 output via RCAs to the multi channel input section on the rx-v1400) and ran optical from the PC to the amplifier.

Now that i have HDMI on the amplifier, and my graphics card has HDMI output (which i currently run from the PC direct to my Panasonic LCD) .. should i just connect this to one of the Yamaha rx-v1900's HDMI inputs ? the PC will pass the sound via HDMI, as as its digital its simply a passthrough like the optical, and wont do any processing and let the Yamaha handle it ?

Im also assuming this will pass the video signal from the PC to the amplifier too, which it will pass to the TV.

Or should i be looking at getting a high end sound-card again, using multi-channel output from the soundcard to the amplifier.

Or, do i find a soundcard that has an HDMI output ?

im running myself round and round in circles trying to figure out the best way to do this.

from research (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386603/sound-card-vs-hdmi-output) it seems i am confirming what i thought about a soundcard with hdmi vs my video card's HDMI output .. is that digital is digital and is just straight passed to the Yahama AVR to process ..

so ..to clarify

1) HDMI via sound card will be the same as HDMI from the graphics card
2) Will multi channel output from a dedicated sound-card be any better than HDMI from the graphics card ?
3) I only need the one HDMI cable from the PC to the Yamaha AVR for both video and audio .. i am viewing the answer to this as yes, with the understanding that it would be the same as hooking up a ps3 or blu-ray player to the Yamaha AVR..

If need be, i am happy to purchase a high end sound card to obtain the best sound, if multi channel input from a soundcard will give me better sound.

Current hardware :
AVR : Yamaha RX-V1900
Speakers : Paradigm Studio 60 Front pair+ Paradigm Signature c3 v1 Centre + Yamaha subwoofer . no rear stage yet (will purchase later in the year)
Video card : nvidia GTX780

Sorry for the confusing order of this post, i have thrown it together while at work!

Its all a very exciting time for me, as i have just recently purchased the Paradigm speakers, and they are blowing me away in terms of quality. i am looking to throw some more power at them, which is being discussed in another thread.

Thank you for your time reading this, and i appreciate any input ! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi ReaperZ,

You seem to have figured it all out already, but for verification:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperZ View Post

1) HDMI via sound card will be the same as HDMI from the graphics card
Correct.
Quote:
2) Will multi channel output from a dedicated sound-card be any better than HDMI from the graphics card ?
No.
Quote:
3) I only need the one HDMI cable from the PC to the Yamaha AVR for both video and audio
Yes.
ReaperZ likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hi MarkHotchkiss,

Thank you for the clarification, its nice to know that my process of understanding is correct, and hopefully this can help someone else in future who is searching for information !

Thanks for making it so easy.

-ReaperZ
post #4 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperZ View Post

Hi MarkHotchkiss,

Thank you for the clarification, its nice to know that my process of understanding is correct, and hopefully this can help someone else in future who is searching for information !

Thanks for making it so easy.

To clarify, the video card sends out 4 stereo digital outputs via the HDMI cable for a total of 7.1 channels max, while the outputs of the on-board sound card will be either analog or digital depending on the PC.

The PC being programmable will use the HDMI outputs in accordance with what the music player software you choose supports.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi ReaperZ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

To clarify, the video card sends out 4 stereo digital outputs via the HDMI cable for a total of 7.1 channels max, while the outputs of the on-board sound card will be either analog or digital depending on the PC.

The PC being programmable will use the HDMI outputs in accordance with what the music player software you choose supports.
Arny brings up an important point: Although both of your afore-mentioned HDMI options are equally capable from a hardware perspective, one option might have better software support than the other. I couldn't say which option might be better, and it will depend a lot on what you wish to play, so you may have more research ahead of you.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I can vouch for using the video card's HDMI for the audio from your PC to AVR.

In the past I had used a good sound card with either optical or coaxial. Then for a while tried a USB DAC to the analogue in of my AVR.

Then more recently tried the video card HDMI route and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded and how more hassle free it was and the extra bonus of offering more channels at higher sample rates.

It is my favoured method now.
ReaperZ likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
+1

For the benefit of others who may come to this topic later, graphics cards with HDMI need audio connections from sound card or motherboard before both will pass through the one cable. It's a simple and effective solution. The worst of it may be handshake issues, a problem that frequently raises its ugly head.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

For the benefit of others who may come to this topic later, graphics cards with HDMI need audio connections from sound card or motherboard before both will pass through the one cable.

Newer ones don't. Just put the card in and configure all necessary software to utilise the audio.
Nethawk likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
^^ Cool, didn't know that. Years ago I wrote a white paper (a bit of a rant really) on this, glad to see manufacturers investing in better driver development!

post #10 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Yeah you don't need to wire the video card to the motherboard/sound card. Newer video cards have their own audio drivers that output multichannel PCM via HDMI.

The old way you were just adding a S/PDIF connection to the HDMI output so the only way to get multichannel output with it was with DD or DTS.
Nethawk likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
In fact since around 2009 many video cards sent HDMI sound without hooking up any extra connections to the video card.
And as far as I am aware, nobody makes a sound card with HDMI output any longer, I think the Asus Xonar HDAV was the last, and from what I have read, driver support is very spotty now.
Nethawk likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

wow thanks for the great replies all! nvidia have confirmed that my GTX 780 supports bitstream passthrough via HDMI and has its own audio chip and compatible drivers, without the need of any additional wiring.

I should have everything all setup, now onto upgrading my subwoofer!

thank you all for the excellent help, it really is a pleasure in this community
post #13 of 14 Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried to wire up the setup, however i am not having any luck !! frown.gif

I have a new Geforce GTX 780, and bought a new amplifier, a Yamaha RX-V1900. i was previously using optical SPDIF via my onboard motherboard optical. to a yamaha rx-v1400

I have no sound via HDMI or picture via HDMI when run through the Yamaha rx-v1900

i have an HDMI cable running between the gtx780 and into one of the yamaha's HDMI inputs, and another HDMI cable between the amplifier HDMI out and the TV but it doesn't detect it at all under Sound in control panel, it also doesn't show up as a monitor in the nvidia control panel;

If i plug it directly into the TV (panasonic 42" LCD) via hdmi it works perfectly and passes audio from the pc to the tv and also the tv's sound.

e4bdnbg2.ifa[1].png 60k .png file

I tried uninstalling the drivers, restarting, using driver cleaner, restart then install fresh drivers from nvidia site, but this makes no difference.

can anyone help please ? smile.gif it must be a setting on the amplifier as it works perfectly via the TV ??
The only thing i can think of is the HDMI port on the video card is 1.4, and the amplifier is 1.3 ?
maybe i need to do a firmware update on the amplifier?

Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: png e4bdnbg2.ifa[1].png (60.1 KB, 4 views)
post #14 of 14 Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

plugged in my PS3 the same way this morning, it worked fine, so i unplugged the ps3 and plugged in the PC's video card and it worked smile.gif same as what i did last night. strange, but im happy!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1900 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page