running two pairs of speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just bought an amp and some speakers from a local second hand shop. the speakers are a pair of Technics SB-3670. They run at 8ohms and have a power rating of 100w. my amp is a Technics SU-V460 it is rated at 50w per channel and has more than enough power for my current speakers, it has terminals for 4 speakers, and has a speaker (a+b) selector.

The speakers are a bit big for my desk, not to mention the keyboard rattling at high volumes, but i'm looking to have them on the floor, and then a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.0's as bookshelf speakers. question is, would that work?
sorry for all the questions, complete noob here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It sounds like the question is: Can I connect two pairs of 8 ohm speakers and run them at the same time?

Sure - as long as the combined impedance of the speakers isn't too low and the volume you select isn't too high to cause too much current output demand on your modest amp and cause it to overheat. Most amps with a speaker select switch connect the speakers in parallel which drops the impedance (more difficult load for the ame) and requires more current output - so just be careful with the volume.

Good Luck

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by installgentoo View Post

I've just bought an amp and some speakers from a local second hand shop. the speakers are a pair of Technics SB-3670. They run at 8ohms and have a power rating of 100w. my amp is a Technics SU-V460 it is rated at 50w per channel and has more than enough power for my current speakers, it has terminals for 4 speakers, and has a speaker (a+b) selector.

The speakers are a bit big for my desk, not to mention the keyboard rattling at high volumes, but i'm looking to have them on the floor, and then a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.0's as bookshelf speakers. question is, would that work?
sorry for all the questions, complete noob here.
If the plan is to only run one pair at a time then that will be fine. Put one pair on A and one on B and switch between them as needed.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page