New *Tiny* room forcing new speaker layout - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I recently moved to a new apartment, and for the first time in years, the TV room is so cramped I believe I'll have to rethink my sound system.

Previously, I was running a 7.1 setup through a Yamaha RX-V671 in a 19'x13' living room. Needless to say, it was quite roomy.

I have now relocated to a much smaller entertainment area, at 9'4"x10'. Aleady, my 50" plasma is feeling too big for the space.

For the speakers, what shall I do about the setup? I'm already skeptical about putting up 5.1 speakers (L,C,R,SR,SL,Sub), but 7.1 just seems gratuitous for the space.

What are your thoughts? Since the coach is going up against the back wall, there won't even be room to place the speakers behind the listening area. So 7.1 will definitely be out, correct? And frankly, I'm thinking 5.1 will be too boomy in such a small space.

Anyway, thank you for the advice. It's very appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alexi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I think 5.1 would be just fine in your new room. I'm not sure what you mean by boomy with 5.1.... Boomy sound is usually from either bad sub placement or just a low quality sub, it usually doesn't have to do with the number of speakers. Speakers can sound boomy if they are placed inside cabinets or have rear ports that don't have proper clearance, but if you have your crossovers set to 80hz or higher that will help some. Now if your receiver has Dolby PLIIz you could try 7.1 with front height speakers if you don't want the extra speakers to go to waiste.

Shawn
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Apologizes there. Boomy was poor word choice. You're right though. I had just recently been reading an article on subwoofers. I guess I carried the word over subconsciously. smile.gif

What I meant to say was... echo-y? Granted I don't have furniture in the room right now, so no sound is being absorbed, but even with a rug and coach, I'm still concerned that with the room's dimensions, sound will be bouncing all over the place.

Thank you for the vote of confidence for 5.1 though. I'll just keep my extra two speakers in storage for now. I won't mind terribly. Or I can great a zone B later. smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Any room without much furniture will sound echoy cuz no sound is being absorbed. Any cloth furniture, curtains, blinds, blankets, pillows, carpet or rugs you put in the room will help to absorb sound. Also that is a small room but an open book case filled with books is a great absorber and diffuser of sound.

I say go 5.1.

Shawn
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM

I'd expect that room to be very boomy. First, it's small. Second, 2 of the dimensions are very close, and I imagine the 3rd dimension (height) isn't very different. You will have lots of big peaks and also some nulls in the bass response, along with severe ringing at some bass frequencies. All this is due to the room size/shape.

Bass trapping is the solution.... and in a small room using absorbers at early reflection points will also help a lot.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My "small " room measures 10 x 11.. I run an Onkyo 270, Klipsch Icon36 for FR-FL, Klipsch SLX for C and FHLR and SS1 for surrounds. I run 2 Sub 10's, one up at the ceiling and one almost like a foot stool.thru an 1124p with some EQ. I have heavy curtains in back and along the walls and blocked the windows out. My viewing to a 55" panny is 78 ". Behind the loveseat is my freshly minted BFM THT-lp build to 24 inches wide, using the bash 300. I run the sub 10's for most music and the thtlp for movies.

Embrace the possibilities of using THX specs to create THE most immersive A/V experience that room can provide. . Review viewing/listening angles /distances. My receiver only does Audyssey 2EQ . I've also listened after using a RS SPL meter, there are lots of recommendationsall over this site.
You'll have something very unique

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
post #7 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
As stated above, the smaller the space, the more dependent the room is on bass trapping.

Those dimensions are quite problematic. But, with the right synergy of trapping and speaker placement, you'll get the best out of it all. Be mindful, in small room like this, the boundary surface directly behind the LP is critical. You're likely not going to be able to utilize diffusion, so absorption rules the day behind the LP. As thick and effective as possible, over as much as possible behind you. This is easily a inexpensive DIY effort, but a minimum of 4" spaced 4" off the wall, is great.

However, oftentimes space is such a premium, the air-gap behind the treatment may be foregone. Just center as much treatment, as thick as you can allow, behind the seated ear height. Also, front corners are (and subsequently all corners) are ideal for trapping.

There are many good systems in modestly small rooms. Symmetry in layout, avoid a center room LP, implement as much treatment as you can muster. The smaller the room, the more important the treatment.

To the original question about 7.1 vs 5.1, I'd focus on a well execute 5.1 if possible.

If you're going to buy treatment panels that's great. If interested in DIY, there's mucho info available, but ping me if you need specifics.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page