REW EQ + miniDSP discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 349
It was suggested in the REW Setup thread that I start a new thread to discuss the use of REW's EQ feature with the miniDSP, so here it is! biggrin.gif

I'm a complete newby to REW and sub EQ. About a month or so ago I downloaded REW and started learning to take measurements. Now that I'm more comfortable taking measurements and have gone as far as I can with sub placement and bass management tweaks (room treatments aren't an option in my living room ), I'd like to give PEQ a shot.

Later this month I plan to order a miniDSP and have been asking questions about how REW EQ and miniDSP work together so I'll be a bit prepared when I get the miniDSP. Once I get started I plan to post graphs here and hopefully get feedback from other REW EQ/miniDSP owners on how to proceed. smile.gif

Discuss away!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 555
From the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

It is not clear you want to use AutoEQ anyway. The best use of EQ is to take one or two of your massive peaks post REW measurement, and pull them down with a couple of filters.. The precise curve fitting that REW performs may or may not sound good. Whereas the couple of filters most likely will. So don't worry about whether REW supports the automatic programming of the filters. Measure your low frequency response using REW as documented, find the peak value and guess at the rest of the parameters like bandwidth/Q. You will have to iterate a bit to get the curve which is a good exercise anyway to learn what the filter does audibly and in subsequent measurement using REW.

Thanks for the suggestion. smile.gif

I figured since I'm not sure what kind of curve I would like, I could use REW's auto EQ to get an idea what different curves sound like, then start manually tweaking once I narrowed my preferences down a bit. Hopefully I'll learn a bit in the process. wink.gif
Before you use REW's auto EQ to get an idea what different curves sound like, follow Amir's advice and knock down the biggest couple of peaks in the frequency response.

To guage your preference, rather than designing and loading different target curves, just play with the bass and treble controls on your receiver. It will be a much quicker way to find out which direction your tastes lean towards (a little more bass, a bit less in the highs), so that you can narrow down the range of possible target curves to ones that are within your preference.

Sanjay
post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

From the other thread:
Before you use REW's auto EQ to get an idea what different curves sound like, follow Amir's advice and knock down the biggest couple of peaks in the frequency response.

To guage your preference, rather than designing and loading different target curves, just play with the bass and treble controls on your receiver. It will be a much quicker way to find out which direction your tastes lean towards (a little more bass, a bit less in the highs), so that you can narrow down the range of possible target curves to ones that are within your preference.

Got it. smile.gif

I do know I don't like a flat response. Some time ago I tried SVS's auto sub EQ unit (made by Audyssey). It would only EQ flat with no other options. Didn't like it, returned it. wink.gif

post #4 of 9 Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I'm a complete newby to REW and sub EQ. About a month or so ago I downloaded REW and started learning to take measurements. Now that I'm more comfortable taking measurements and have gone as far as I can with sub placement and bass management tweaks (room treatments aren't an option in my living room ), I'd like to give PEQ a shot.

Count me in as part of this thread. I'm a video calibrator and just recently got interested in audio. I've been learning REW and presently have a miniDSP 2x4 on order. My mic is a UMIK-1 and I have the Advanced 21 Plugin.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5 of 9 Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I need to figure how to use a MiniDSP better. I have one that I am not currently using, I have an SMS-1 that I am using now with one sub, HsuVTF-15H. I am going to start a DIY pair of subs when the weather cools. I will need to be able to adjust two subs seperately. When I got the MiniDSP I used it with a legacy REWset up and an old computer I had. The computer crapped out. I will be getting a USB mike to use with a laptop.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 136
http://www.studiomanuals.com/docs/rane/rane_pe17_manual.pdf

Done! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, bassheads been messing around with the mini. Maybe he will chime in.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #7 of 9 Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been doing a number of measurements and have found that there's an issue with bass response from my right front speaker. I've done the best I can to get the best response by tweaking the bass management settings, but it still needs help.

Can I use two of the outputs on the miniDSP (2x4?) to EQ a pair of subs and the other two outputs to EQ the bass on the left and right speakers?

Perhaps I should post this question in a miniDSP thread?

post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This thread is way too quiet. I have been waiting for you guys to start eq-ing your multiple subs with your minidsp's to see what MY next step is!

OK, I have 2 SVS subs, a PC12 and a PB1000 f3's of 20Hz) 1/4 and 3/4 on my front wall in my 20x15x9 (w x l x h) living room. I have a third Yamaha sub (f3 of 30Hz) on my side wall.

My plan was to use the minidsp to get the 3rd sub distance correct (using the minidsp delay), then run audyssey, then do crossover sub distance tweak. I have a Onkyo818 so all sub eq is combined, hence the minidsp. I am using one input, with 3 outs to each sub.

anyone got any other/better ideas for me?

thanks

Behringer B212XL (x3), Axiom QS8 (x2), SVS PC12 NSD, PB1000 (x2) . Onkyo TX-NR818. Mini DSP 2x4. Sony BDP-S370. Samsung PS50B650 . Epson 8350 Projector, Grandview pulldown 92" screen, Aura Bass Shakers (x3).
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcliffyrun View Post

This thread is way too quiet. I have been waiting for you guys to start eq-ing your multiple subs with your minidsp's to see what MY next step is!

OK, I have 2 SVS subs, a PC12 and a PB1000 f3's of 20Hz) 1/4 and 3/4 on my front wall in my 20x15x9 (w x l x h) living room. I have a third Yamaha sub (f3 of 30Hz) on my side wall.

My plan was to use the minidsp to get the 3rd sub distance correct (using the minidsp delay), then run audyssey, then do crossover sub distance tweak. I have a Onkyo818 so all sub eq is combined, hence the minidsp. I am using one input, with 3 outs to each sub.

anyone got any other/better ideas for me?

thanks

Yes, too quite.

I was hoping to have a miniDSP by now, but I got sidetracked. Also, instead of getting multiple subs, I decided to go with a single sub (PSA Triax) for now since I already get a good response from my current sub location.

Your idea seems right, but unfortunately I don't have any room correction software such as Audyssey so I'm not sure what order you would do things.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page