Wall mounting HEAVY speakers (70lb) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got 3 Fusion-10 max's for my fronts and want to mount them a foot off the ground angled up above ear level (off axis response for waveguides) and angled in at a sharp angle (same reason)

I have some lcd wall mounts that were rated to 66lb online but now the box and the website got updated to 50 pound rating.

Is there any chance these mounts can hold the speakers?

I have searched the entire internet and can't find the right combo that meets all my needs. These mounts looked like they did but now with the 50lb rating i am worried.
goonstopher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Are you mounting all three speakers to a single mount? I don't understand because you say "Wall mounting HEAVY speakers (70lb)"

 

I would take a guess and say they each weigh about 20 pounds. Not 70 pounds each...

Mrkazador is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
For me, no question, ... I would make them, exactly to my needs, ... and have done so multiple times.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Are you mounting all three speakers to a single mount? I don't understand because you say "Wall mounting HEAVY speakers (70lb)"

I would take a guess and say they each weigh about 20 pounds. Not 70 pounds each...

Each speaker weighs 70 pounds
goonstopher is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

For me, no question, ... I would make them, exactly to my needs, ... and have done so multiple times.

I am HORRIBLE with spatial logic and can't build them...

Could I use glue in the locking teeth to make the mounts weak point hold?
goonstopher is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Why not build stands?

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post


Each speaker weighs 70 pounds

 

 

Have you weighed them? I ask because my FUSION 12 Tempest weigh 52lbs each.

Mrkazador is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post


Have you weighed them? I ask because my FUSION 12 Tempest weigh 52lbs each.

Hmmm... the shipping weight on the box alone is 42 pounds.

The speaker parts say 27

Add in some paint and the extra stuffing and I figured 70
goonstopher is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Why not build stands?

I really wanted them on the wall because I moved my entire audio rack to free up floor space.

I just like the clean look of nothing on the floor. Also it's in a large bedroom. I don't own just rent and can't use the common room for theater.
goonstopher is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post


Hmmm... the shipping weight on the box alone is 42 pounds.

The speaker parts say 27

Add in some paint and the extra stuffing and I figured 70

 

Divide that by 3? I assume the shipping weight is for all three speakers.

 

The Delta 10a is 10.8lbs

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-412

 

The DNA360 is probably 4.6lbs

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-605

 

Add about 1lb for the crossover....then some wood... You're probably looking at 30-40lbs.

Mrkazador is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Tulpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You're probably looking at 30-40lbs.

For that weight, you could get the Pinpoint AM40 mounts that hold up to 50lbs if mounted on a stud. I have four of them and the work fine.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Tulpa is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Divide that by 3? I assume the shipping weight is for all three speakers.

The Delta 10a is 10.8lbs
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-412

The DNA360 is probably 4.6lbs
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-605

Add about 1lb for the crossover....then some wood... You're probably looking at 30-40lbs.

No Erich site says that is each... And the box is heavy but maybe i am weak.

i will weigh them soon I guess.

If i need to i will use thread lock on the weakest point which should help (just will take away the ability to adjust in the future)
goonstopher is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Did you buy the flat pack for each speaker?

Mrkazador is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yup i used their pre-made box
goonstopher is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

The flat pack is 31lbs, add the woofer which is 10.8lbs and the compression driver 4.6lbs. That is 46.4lbs, the crossover won't weigh much, probably 1lb and the polyfill another 1lb. Paint won't add much, a few ounces. A good guess on the final weight is 48-50lbs

Mrkazador is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

The flat pack is 31lbs, add the woofer which is 10.8lbs and the compression driver 4.6lbs. That is 46.4lbs, the crossover won't weigh much, probably 1lb and the polyfill another 1lb. Paint won't add much, a few ounces. A good guess on the final weight is 48-50lbs

Sweet! so maybe I won't need the thread lock

The mounts are rated for 50lb
goonstopher is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off