Need HDMI & Speaker Wire Suggestions (AudioQuest) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a somewhat decent home theater system and I have waited until now to what some may call a cardinal sin and ask which is the correct cabling to enhance my system. I have been debating on which series of the AudioQuest HDMI's to go with and I was hoping that some of you guys have had experience with them so I can make a good decision. I plan on also buying the AudioQuest Rockett 44 speaker cable but not sure if I should biwire them with my system that I currently have. I have heard bad things about biwiring with only a preamp receiver.

Here is my current setup, thanks in advance guys,

TV: Panasonic GT50 60"
Speakers: B&W CM9's
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-50
Media: PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Biwiring is a compete waste of time and money.
Audioquest cables are a complete waste of money.
Boutique HDMI cables are a complete waste of money.

If you're itching to spend money on your system, do it on something that actually will make a difference.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your opinion, but you literally left no back up or reasons why they are a waste of time nor did you offer up an option that would be a worth spending money on to make a difference...
post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
You'll find answers to the first three with a little bit of searching.

As for something else to make an improvement, first you would have to determine what you want to improve. For HT, my suggestion would be some good subs.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The subject has been beat to death so many times. If you spend anymore on your speaker cables than a few dollars for HD or Lowe's etc outdoor low voltage lighting cable (12-14 awg) you are truly throwing away money. The same is true for HDMI cables RCA interconnects etc. Just buy the stock cables from Mono[rice and you will get as good as it gets ( from an electrical information transfer standpoint)
post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustio23 View Post

reasons why they are a waste of time ... offer up an option that would be a worth spending money on to make a difference...

As others said, spending hundreds of dollars on "boutique" speaker cables is not nessasary - the only thing that matters is resistance and the only thing that affects resistance is the gauge of the wire. That said, it is just as rediculous to cheap out and wire your $2000 speakers with five dollars of crappy zip cord from the home store. I would suggest 12awg or even better 10awg wire with high quality connectors. For a very reasonable price, you can buy high quality speaker wire with welded connectors from Blue Jean Cables - the Beldon 10awg wire is VERY nice:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

As for the HDMI cables, these are digital cables and as long as you use a quality cable that transfers the signal without errors the cable is good enough. Spending more will not give you a better picture or better sound. Look at Blue Jean Cables or Monoprice. My Oppo 105 is hooked up with some very highly rated cables I fould at Amazon.com

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

reasons why they are a waste of time ... offer up an option that would be a worth spending money on to make a difference...

As others said, spending hundreds of dollars on "boutique" speaker cables is not nessasary - the only thing that matters is resistance and the only thing that affects resistance is the gauge of the wire. That said, it is just as rediculous to cheap out and wire your $2000 speakers with five dollars of crappy zip cord from the home store. I would suggest 12awg or even better 10awg wire with high quality connectors. For a very reasonable price, you can buy high quality speaker wire with welded connectors from Blue Jean Cables - the Beldon 10awg wire is VERY nice:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

As for the HDMI cables, these are digital cables and as long as you use a quality cable that transfers the signal without errors the cable is good enough. Spending more will not give you a better picture or better sound. Look at Blue Jean Cables or Monoprice. My Oppo 105 is hooked up with some very highly rated cables I fould at Amazon.com

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #8 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

I appreciate your opinion, but you literally left no back up or reasons why they are a waste of time nor did you offer up an option that would be a worth spending money on to make a difference...

You could always get these ones... here... but they are only cheap crap ones so you should get these better ones... No wait... those still aren't very good... these ones are better! No wait... those ones are still cheap ****... these ones are good speaker cables!

I give up... perhaps it's all a load of crap..??? Maybe they just are thinking to themselves... If some people are gullible enough to buy a $750 a set of speaker cables perhaps a few other people would be gullible enough to buy a set of $5000 speaker cables... and so on and so on. Hey here's an idea! Why don't they make a set of $100,000 speaker cables that are even better again!

The mind boggles...

So, how much have you optimised speaker and listening position placement in your room? Measured the frequency response to get any idea of any areas you may be missing or any large peaks that may be overpowering certain parts...???
post #9 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would'nt recommend Monorice there speaker wire is junk I have 12AWG and the copper turned green w/in 30 days.

also they don't stand behind the lifetime warrenty I sent the cable back and they reciecved it, I never got a replacement.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #10 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 86
http://www.tselectronic.com/shop/product/Honeywell-Genesis-Audacious-In-Wall-Speaker-Cable/1794

I didn't want to cheap out on speaker cable when putting it in wall. I do believe wire is wire, but like stevethebrain said, look at the quality before you buy.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #11 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I'm still using 30 year "green" speaker wire from Radio Shack. Tried $300 MIT speaker wires 10+ years ago, returned them and went back to the greenies. No difference.
My Monoprice HDMI cables are just dandy also. tongue.gif
post #12 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

As for the HDMI cables, these are digital cables and as long as you use a quality cable that transfers the signal without errors the cable is good enough.
Well, before you buy a cable, you don't know if it is a) quality cable and b) sends the signal without errors smile.gif. There are ways to build crappy HDMI cables that with some gear, may cause issue. For short lengths, just about any performs well. But in longer lengths, some will fail due to poor construction and lack of testing. If you are going to use long cables especially if you are going to fish them behind he walls, spend a few dollars more and get a branded product and not the cheapest thing online/ebay.

Also, HDMI cables are not purely digital. They convey the timing of the data which is an analog parameter. For video, that becomes a digital value since pixels have distinct values. For audio, that clock timing drives the DAC so it can wind up in the analog output of the DAC. Not saying this to worry you and make you think different cables necessarily make an audible difference. smile.gif But just want to be technically correct when we speak of such things.
Quote:
Spending more will not give you a better picture or better sound. Look at Blue Jean Cables or Monoprice. My Oppo 105 is hooked up with some very highly rated cables I fould at Amazon.com
It can however get you reliability per above. User reports is not something you can go by on such things. You need measurements which unfortunately requires very expensive gear due to speeds involved. See http://gizmodo.com/268788/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-verdict-cheap-cables-keep-upusually

Monoprice 35-ft In-Wall CL2 ($35.17)
REAL WORLD 720p - PASS
REAL WORLD 1080p - FAIL

Monster 10-meter ($230)
REAL WORLD 720p - PASS
REAL WORLD 1080p - PASS

Monoprice 50-ft In-Wall CL2 ($53.64)
REAL WORLD 720p - PASS
REAL WORLD 1080p - FAIL

Shorter lengths did fine in both brands.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #13 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

So, how much have you optimized speaker and listening position placement in your room? Measured the frequency response to get any idea of any areas you may be missing or any large peaks that may be overpowering certain parts...???

Thanks for all of the information guys, I took some of your advice and found some good information just through this site. I have not used any hardware to measure the frequencies in the room. I have moved he speakers around to find what audibly sounded best for me. I also used the the mic from the receiver to calibrate the speakers for my room.

There is overwhelming research that shows how a "cheap" cable is just as good as a $52,000 cable. However, and I am not trying to start a cable batter here, but more-so looking at all sides. Why then, when Bowers & Wilkins (or any high end audio company) does a tour for their new speakers, they use high end cables to support their product. I would understand if they were promoting them but they aren't.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:

There is overwhelming research that shows how a "cheap" cable is just as good as a $52,000 cable. However, and I am not trying to start a cable batter here, but more-so looking at all sides. Why then, when Bowers & Wilkins (or any high end audio company) does a tour for their new speakers, they use high end cables to support their product. I would understand if they were promoting them but they aren't.
That is done because their expected customers believe in high-end cables. When we first set up our Mark Levinson amp and Revel speakers, we used cables we built ourselves. But every high-end customer who looked at the system complained that it was not sounding its best without fancy cables and hence wouldn't listen to the system (Harman is one of the few high-end companies which does not advocate such fancy cables). So we finally broke down and got some loaner "audiophile" cables on them (but we don't sell any). It would be suicidal from sales point of view for B&W to say that such cables have no merit given the large market share they have of the high-end audio.

Beyond that, they may also believe in benefits of such cables based on their subjective testing.

So all in all, it doesn't amount to evidence of merit.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #15 of 18 Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

I took some of your advice and found some good information just through this site. I have not used any hardware to measure the frequencies in the room. I have moved he speakers around to find what audibly sounded best for me. I also used the the mic from the receiver to calibrate the speakers for my room.

Wow, that was quick! I was in my last place for just over a year and was still getting things better and better through fine tuning placement and room treatments and integrating the subs. Have recently moved and started the whole process over again with a new room. There possibly could be a lifetime of improvements just with placement and treatment options alone. Measurements certainly speed up this process over the hit and miss guesswork of doing it by ear.

Quote:
Why then, when Bowers & Wilkins (or any high end audio company) does a tour for their new speakers, they use high end cables to support their product.

Ever read reports from shows and noticed how many people say how so many room displays at the shows actually sounded quite bad..? Putting a lot of expensive gear into a room is no guarantee that it is even going to sound remotely good. Unfortunately the hobby of hifi has been hijacked by a slick marketing machine that has brainwashed a good number of people into believing that it can only be good only if it costs a lot of money. The more it costs the better it must be.! To these people when they see and listen to a high end system, they expect every component on it to cost a small fortune and that is what they look for. Sound quality has absolutely nothing to do with it.
mtn-tech likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I do think the phrase "subjective testing " is an oxymoron in the purest sense of the word.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
All you guys are SO wrong. The only way to get a passable signal is to use a decent cable. I only (keep a couple of dozen for backup and all HDMI connections) use these HDMI connectors for my Bose system and the difference is apparent.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'll take 3 of those cables, but only if shipping is free.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page