Lightning Strike=smoked B&W's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I wasn't standing in the room, heard the giant crash, smelled the electrical fire smell, and seen the smoke leaving my B&K 7 channel receiver, I would never believe it! But it happened. Unit turned off, using a monster power reference power center and all. My amp is obviously fried, my center B&W Nautilus HTM1's woofers are welded in one spot. Obvious total loss on those. Good news, I have replacement value insurance and all is covered. My question, for the other 4 B&w speakers, how can I tell if they've been damaged? I heard the crackling from each of them for 15 seconds after the strike. I'd like to take a loss on all for insurance purposes because I'm afraid of the long term issues or other problems that may not be immediately present. What steps would you take and how would you proceed forward? B&W nautilus 805 mains with DS3 rears. I'm open to all suggestions and comments.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Call Mon$ter and try to make a claim (good luck).
Call your insurance provider and make a claim.

Do your best to get it all covered, but expect to open your wallet.
lancerpilot likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I guess my main question is, if some speakers initially appear ok, would it concern you. I'm worried that ill always wonder about them, and that's a hell of a feeling to have when you pay that much.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 448
A real lightning strike can be incredibly powerful. We had one hit our house. My wife got a shock from the phone handset! The phone was gone. As was my receiver. And get this: it even blew the romex wire behind the wall to some of our lights!

Back to your question, you would really need to take the speaker apart and look inside to see if there is any sign of arcing, etc. If in doubt, get your local AV shop to take a look. To the extent you will be buying the replacement from them, they can evaluate and provide proof for the insurance company that the unit needs to be repaired/damaged free of charge. My company does that routinely for our customers.
lancerpilot likes this.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #5 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 260

You can measure the impedance of the speaker using a multimeter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You can measure the impedance of the speaker using a multimeter.
Well, you can measure the resistance. The typical multimeter won't measure impedance. And all that may tell you is whether the woofer coil is intact. It generally won't tell you a thing about other components which are usually separated from the woofer by a capacitor.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerpilot View Post

I guess my main question is, if some speakers initially appear ok, would it concern you. I'm worried that ill always wonder about them, and that's a hell of a feeling to have when you pay that much.
If I paid that much for equipment and a Mon$ter power center to supposedly protect that equipment and had a homeowners insurance rider to cover the replacement value of the equipment....... what's the problem?

Refer to post #2. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 16 Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Let us know how this ends up. After going DIY and building (well, putting together at least) a bunch of subs I called my insurance company and asked what would happen if my house got hit with lightning and all my audio equipment was fried. They told me I would be covered.

However, I want to see if that actually happens in a real case.

Either way that really sucks and I hope it turns out well for you.
lancerpilot likes this.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Well, you can measure the resistance. The typical multimeter won't measure impedance. And all that may tell you is whether the woofer coil is intact. It generally won't tell you a thing about other components which are usually separated from the woofer by a capacitor.

I know your not supposed to use a multimeter to measure impedance. But it seems like every speaker I measured, such as a 4 or 8 ohm, the meter measures darn close to those numbers.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #10 of 16 Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I called my insurance company and asked what would happen if my house got hit with lightning and all my audio equipment was fried. They told me I would be covered.

Have all dated receipts for parts and materials for the DIY stuff as well as for the non-DIY equipment purchased. Also, record all serial numbers (where applicable) and take plenty of photos of your stuff (keep in a fire-safe or safe deposit box). Also inquire about deductible and pro-rating. It may better to get a rider for your A/V gear.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Liked: 17
Call B&W and find out where to take / send your gear for inspection. I would presume the drivers to be compromised if some of the other components were destroyed in the strike.

Might as well be sure to replace all that is due to you in your claim and B&W is in the best position to assess damage to drivers and crossovers.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

A real lightning strike can be incredibly powerful. We had one hit our house. My wife got a shock from the phone handset! The phone was gone. As was my receiver. And get this: it even blew the romex wire behind the wall to some of our lights!

Back to your question, you would really need to take the speaker apart and look inside to see if there is any sign of arcing, etc. If in doubt, get your local AV shop to take a look. To the extent you will be buying the replacement from them, they can evaluate and provide proof for the insurance company that the unit needs to be repaired/damaged free of charge. My company does that routinely for our customers.
Yes, but now your wife has super powers. Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider, the Fantastic Four were zapped with cosmic rays, and Bruce Banner with gamma rays. Neither she nor yourself may be aware of what these powers or abilities are yet but be ever vigilant. For example, does she somehow manage to know when you're going out and remind you to pick something up? Maybe, when you've whispered something under your breath so softly does she ask if you were talking to her? Keep your wits about you,

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #13 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to follow up on this since I finally have resolution. Four months of managing this entire process has paid off. My insurance company (USAA) was outstanding and covered the entire loss. First and foremost, my involvement in every step to this process was absolutely essential to this outcome. If anyone is in this situation, please contact me. I learned alot during this process that I can pass on.

Bottom line, pay a little extra for replacement value insurance. Had I not, this situation would be dramatically different.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

I wanted to follow up on this since I finally have resolution. Four months of managing this entire process has paid off. My insurance company (USAA) was outstanding and covered the entire loss. First and foremost, my involvement in every step to this process was absolutely essential to this outcome. If anyone is in this situation, please contact me. I learned alot during this process that I can pass on.

Bottom line, pay a little extra for replacement value insurance. Had I not, this situation would be dramatically different.

FWIW a whole house surge protector might have done a better job than the Monster.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Great point, any recommendations?
post #16 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

Great point, any recommendations?

All things considered, you should probably accept the recommendations of your local electrician or electrical contractor.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page