Can you reverse wall speakers to lower the tweeter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
My three front KL-7800 THX in-wall speakers were originally placed too high on the wall and the tweeters are much higher than ear height when sitting in my home theatre.
Even standing the tweeters are higher than the ears.

Is it ok to reverse the speakers so the tweeters are below the main driver, this would at least make the tweeters a bit lower?

Murray Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

My three front KL-7800 THX in-wall speakers were originally placed too high on the wall and the tweeters are much higher than ear height when sitting in my home theatre.
Even standing the tweeters are higher than the ears.

Is it ok to reverse the speakers so the tweeters are below the main driver, this would at least make the tweeters a bit lower?

Hard to say. Try it, see what happens. More specifically remount the left or right and see if it changes the position of the central image.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Hard to say. Try it, see what happens. More specifically remount the left or right and see if it changes the position of the central image.

If it was easy I would just do that to test, but I have a screen that's laced to the wall, I would have to pull down the screen to just try.
Would be easier if someone could confirm its ok for the sound to reverse the speakers.

Murray Thompson

post #4 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Would be easier if someone could confirm its ok for the sound to reverse the speakers.

Yes, putting speakers upside down is perfectly fine. However, it's not usually a good idea to put speakers on their sides. In that case content around the crossover frequency will arrive at different times from the woofer and tweeter. I know you didn't ask about that, but I thought it's worth mentioning since that's another common question.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

post #5 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Yes, putting speakers upside down is perfectly fine. However, it's not usually a good idea to put speakers on their sides. In that case content around the crossover frequency will arrive at different times from the woofer and tweeter. I know you didn't ask about that, but I thought it's worth mentioning since that's another common question.

--Ethan

Great, thank you Ethan for the answer, I always trust you!

Murray Thompson

post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Quote:

I may be over-thinking this but...

Some wall-mounted speakers might have a preferred mounting height. The primary axis might be tipped down so that they are optimal when mounted higher, which can happen with wall-mounted speakers.

I agree that 90 degree rotation can be more of a risk.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I may be over-thinking this but...

Some wall-mounted speakers might have a preferred mounting height. The primary axis might be tipped down so that they are optimal when mounted higher, which can happen with wall-mounted speakers.

I agree that 90 degree rotation can be more of a risk.

I think THX speakers are very directional especially with the horn design. If I move my head up and down the volume of the voice certainly increases when my head gets closer to the centre of the horns.....

Murray Thompson

post #8 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

I think THX speakers are very directional especially with the horn design. If I move my head up and down the volume of the voice certainly increases when my head gets closer to the centre of the horns.....

See if the manufacturer has any recommendations/guidelines for installation height.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

See if the manufacturer has any recommendations/guidelines for installation height.

Klipsch don't mention anything about the height they should be placed.

Murray Thompson

post #10 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Klipsch came back to me:

Hello Murray,

Yes, the speaker can be mounted in reverse so the tweeter is as close as possible to ear level. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need anything else.

Best regards,

Mike Halperin - Service Support Representative (Domestic)

Murray Thompson

post #11 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Yes Murray, THX speakers are designed to have limited vertical dispersion characteristics so as to minimize Floor and Ceiling Reflections!

Your subjective experience moving your head up and down certainly demonstrates this!

...Glenn smile.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page