Single-speaker zone with impedance matching selector switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello experts! I’ve been a lurker for some time, and this is my first post! Perhaps you can help me with a whole-house audio question...

Here's the setup... My amplifier feeds an Audioplex AT-6 impedance matching speaker selector, which, in turn, feeds four pairs of 8-ohm speakers, each with with its own volume control.

I want to add a fifth zone with only a single speaker. Let's say this is one speaker is connected to the left channel.

My question is... Will the left channel sound softer throughout the rest of the system, or will the impedance matching selector prevent this from happening? Do I need to have two speakers in each zone to keep everything balanced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I don't think the impedance on the left channel would be different enough for the sound to be affected, but you will only be able to hear part of the stereo mix in that room. Why not get a dual channel single speaker for that room? These have a dual voice coil for the bass and two tweeters for the highs so they appear to be two speakers to the amplifier - this would solve both issues.

I had one of these in the kitchen of a previous house and it sounded quite good.

http://www.klipsch.com/R-2800-CSM-II

Or there are some very inexpensive models:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-322

Good Luck

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page