Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Visio-Room Layout 3.pdf 25k .pdf file

Pleasesee attached room layout photo.

I am in the process of building acoutic panels, I have completed one corner trap as of now.

Regarding the back wall behind the couch, I was thinking of putting some panels horizontally that are at least 4" thick, I was wondering if they would be more effective mounted on the wall starting at a height that is equal to the back of the couch or should I start at the bottom, which is basically behind the couch?

Also i listed two other possible options to place the sub if anyone has any input on that.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Visio-Room Layout 3.pdf (25.3 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph24 View Post

Regarding the back wall behind the couch, I was thinking of putting some panels horizontally that are at least 4" thick, I was wondering if they would be more effective mounted on the wall starting at a height that is equal to the back of the couch or should I start at the bottom, which is basically behind the couch?

Also i listed two other possible options to place the sub if anyone has any input on that.

Thanks

The back wall panel should be as big as possible, centered on your seated ear height.

A thickness of 4", w/equal 4" gap would be even better.

Sub placement is determined by measurement, ... ideally. Try everything, and don't be afraid to try the position along the same rear wall behind the seating. With a low crossover, and very careful time/phase alignment, you could benefit from greater nearfield output, smoother nearfield response. Just a thought, .. experiment extensively with sub placement, it'll pay-off for sure.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 3 Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are 2 problems to solve with rear wall traps. First are high frequency reflections from the speakers. Second is the bass buildup that usually exists on the rear wall. Thick panels will address both problems.

For the former (high freqs), place them at ear level. For the latter (bass), you might get better performance with the panels in the corners (wall/ceiling and/or wall/floor).

For more detail on rear wall strategies, see: http://realtraps.com/art_rear_wall.htm
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page