Adapting surround system for two people with different hearing abilities - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a low end home theater system which consists of a Sony str dh520 amp, a center speaker, a subwoofer, two front speakers, and two surround speakers. My wife and I watch a lot of movies from dvd (no BluRay because TV has no HDMI input), and also televised movies. We sit about 12 feet from the center speaker with the 2 front speakers situated about 2 feet on either side of the front speaker. The rear speakers are located about 8 feet off the floor with one above my head and one above where my wife sits. My hearing isn't bad enough that I need a hearing aid, but I know I am unable to hear a lot of dialog clear enough to understand what's being said. My wife is uncomfortable with any more volume and I'm not really sure how much good it would do me in a lot of instances. I do not have as much trouble hearing in a theater, probably because of better sound quality, and my wife does not seem to be as troubled as much by the sound volume in the theater as she is at home. That's the situation. I can't turn up the volume and I can't hear as well as I'd like.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on an elaborate system. The money is one thing, but it might not work. I could get some Bose earphones, and if there isn't anything I can do with what I have, that's probably what I'll try. So, I just want to explore what the possibilities might be for optimizing the existing system. Ideally, I should like to have some of the dialog coming from the surround speaker closest to me. Is there any way to do that? My understanding is that these speakers are not ordinarily used for voice.

One other problem I notice is that sometimes the music drowns out the dialog. What can be done to mitigate this?

Thanks for any advice you may give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 17
I have some wireless Sennheiser headphones that I use sometimes when I stay up late and need to turn off the television speaker. They are open back design, so if the other speakers are active, you would be able to pick up cues from the speakers in your surround system. I don't see why you could not use this approach to supplement your listening level beyond what your wife prefers. The headphones have a volume control on your ear so you can adjust the level from your seat as needed. Might be worth a try as they are reasonably affordable and comfortable.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM

A lot of times a lack of intelligibility is caused by early reflections. Basically, the sound leaves the front 3 speakers and goes directly to our ears. Then, a few milliseconds after that we hear the first reflections from the ceiling and the side walls, so we end up hearing basically the same sound from 4-5 different places, all slightly out of phase with one another which smears the soundstage and causes a lot of comb filtering.

The solution is to use absorptive panels at the early reflection points on the side walls and the ceiling, creating a Reflection-Free Zone at the listening position(s). For details on this concept, see: http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm
post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. What model do you have?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL-Realtraps View Post

A lot of times a lack of intelligibility is caused by early reflections. Basically, the sound leaves the front 3 speakers and goes directly to our ears. Then, a few milliseconds after that we hear the first reflections from the ceiling and the side walls, so we end up hearing basically the same sound from 4-5 different places, all slightly out of phase with one another which smears the soundstage and causes a lot of comb filtering.

The solution is to use absorptive panels at the early reflection points on the side walls and the ceiling, creating a Reflection-Free Zone at the listening position(s). For details on this concept, see: http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

I was not aware of this problem, so I'll have a look and see what might be done. Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 17
I have a pair of HDR 120 phones, but I think they have been replaced by another model. I think there are many models and prices available with both open and closed backs.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page