Need suggestions for new field recorder with line-level input. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a zoom h1 previously. It no longer works and doesn't boot at all.

I had one main issue with the zoom h1 :
It could never take in line-level input from mixer (Rca tape out ports). The signal was always too hot for it and it use to always record distorted audio even though the digital meters showed that the audio was well in the acceptable range.

So i want the new recorder to take line-level input and even work well with hot signal from the mixer board. I do not want to use a attenuator or any other device in between.

I did some research and found tascam dr-2d which has line input and mic input as seperate ports and from the specifictaions it looks like the line input port will be able to deal with hotter signals compared to the mic input.

The dr-2d is about $170, i want to know if there are any other cheaper options avaialble for less which have a dedicated line-level input port.

All replies will be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post

I had a zoom h1 previously. It no longer works and doesn't boot at all.

I had one main issue with the zoom h1 :
It could never take in line-level input from mixer (Rca tape out ports). The signal was always too hot for it and it use to always record distorted audio even though the digital meters showed that the audio was well in the acceptable range.

So i want the new recorder to take line-level input and even work well with hot signal from the mixer board. I do not want to use a attenuator or any other device in between.

I did some research and found tascam dr-2d which has line input and mic input as seperate ports and from the specifictaions it looks like the line input port will be able to deal with hotter signals compared to the mic input.

The dr-2d is about $170, i want to know if there are any other cheaper options avaialble for less which have a dedicated line-level input port.

All replies will be appreciated, thanks!

Lack of input level adjustment range for consumer and pro line level sources is not uncommon with with portable recorders. I had the same problem with my M-Audio Microtrack I. Allegedly M-Audio fixed this in the Microtrack II but I've never tried one because my Microtrak I kept on ticking. Instead I used in-line attenuators. I think Parts Express has in-line RCA attenuators - Google is your friend!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page