AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   Audiokarma random question? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1484115-audiokarma-random-question.html)

Clinno 08-01-2013 05:54 AM

Hi,

I forgot my password to log into Audiokarma and to in order to receive an email from them reminding me of my password I have to answer the question:

The characters "LP" describe what kind of record?

I've tried, Long Play, Long Playing etc, with no luck?

Has anyone figured this out before?

arnyk 08-01-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinno View Post

Hi,

I forgot my password to log into Audiokarma and to in order to receive an email from them reminding me of my password I have to answer the question:

The characters "LP" describe what kind of record?

I've tried, Long Play, Long Playing etc, with no luck?

Has anyone figured this out before?

If we can save from the mind destroying nature of the general run of posts over there by not answering your question... ;-)

fritzenheimer 12-14-2013 08:17 AM

Did you ever figure it out? Having same problem.

whoaru99 12-14-2013 08:36 AM

Haven't run into that...

Hmmmm, maybe "vinyl"? Seems a bit obtuse for "LP" but perhaps worth a try.

Ratman 12-14-2013 09:23 AM

12"
album

whoaru99 12-14-2013 09:46 AM

"long-play"

Try it, you'll like it. wink.gif

Will2007 12-15-2013 08:12 AM

What kind of idiot writes a password hint question that depends on character/symbol syntax?

amirm 12-15-2013 09:58 AM

Indeed. The only purpose of that is to stop a simple automated robot. Once a human is involved, then all bets are off. So might as well make the question very simple like "what is the first letter in Apple." And make sure it takes it in either case.

Ratman 12-15-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

What kind of idiot writes a password hint question that depends on character/symbol syntax?
That's better than those that use passwords such as:
password
secret

There are more idiots than you think. wink.gif

amirm 12-15-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

That's better than those that use passwords such as:
password
secret

There are more idiots than you think. wink.gif
This is not a password. It is a password reset challenge question to make sure the person knows trivial facts of audio that a spammer in India or computer bot does not.

mcnarus 12-15-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:
This is not a password. It is a password reset challenge question to make sure the person knows trivial facts of audio that a spammer in India or computer bot does not.
Right, though I bet many spammers on the subcontinent know what an LP is. (Or could Google it.)

The really dumb thing was asking a question with more than one possible answer.

Ratman 12-15-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Did I say it was? I did read and understand the previous post(s). Just an observation.

And why, Charlie Brown do you wonder... "Why's everybody always pickin' on me?"

amirm 12-15-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Did I say it was? I did read and understand the previous post(s).
Didn't look like it from your post. The only you would know the context of why that question is there is to have created a forum and deployed that technique for spam reduction. You confused that with password uniqueness -- a totally opposite thing. In this case, we want the answer to be obvious to the typical members. With passwords, you do not. Having given the example of A in Apple I thought the context was clear.
Quote:
And why, Charlie Brown do you wonder... "Why's everybody always pickin' on me?"
I never wonder why anyone is picking on me but seems like you have a sensitive skin in that regard smile.gif.

Ratman 12-15-2013 04:16 PM

Nope... you are the one nitpicking. I'm just having a laugh.

Sorry. I forgot that you are the "king of the digital world". From video, audio and data.... you have it all covered. Just like Sherwin Williams paint. biggrin.gif

arnyk 12-15-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I agree. The only way I can see that a person would come up with long-play is if they tried a ton of different things or be informed of the right answer by someone else.

One thing to remember is that this password is allegedly designed for easy guessing by a vinylphile. It's not supposed to be unbreakable.

amirm 12-15-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Nope... you are the one nitpicking. I'm just having a laugh.
Well, you seemed very bothered that I corrected you. If you are taking it in stride and laughing about it, then we are good smile.gif.
Quote:
Sorry. I forgot that you are the "king of the digital world". From video, audio and data.... you have it all covered. Just like Sherwin Williams paint. biggrin.gif
I have had to set up and run WBF Forum for 3 years and had to implement this very question into our forum software. At first I was going to pick an audio question but couldn't think of one that would be obvious to all. Ours is "what is the first letter in Audio." Enough to stop the spam bots and for the rest we monitor the forum heavily to keep it spam free. So no need to be sorry. Just respect someone's relevant experience and don't post off-topic comments in a thread and raise its noise level.

whoaru99 12-15-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I agree. The only way I can see that a person would come up with long-play is if they tried a ton of different things or be informed of the right answer by someone else.

No doubt other people have gotten it along the way, but in this case it wasn't that hard to figure out. After "vinyl" didn't work I Googled "Long Play" and what caught my eye was "long-play" in a couple of the results. Gave it a try and the rest is history.

Ratman 12-16-2013 07:25 AM

And the world is now a better place.

whoaru99 12-16-2013 09:24 AM

Indeed.