Surround Back Room Setup Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I moved to this new house a couple years ago, and just put my surround back speakers in storage because there wasn't a perfect place to put them. As is common, however, I finally got the itch to change/upgrade something, and since I already have the surround back speakers, I figured I'd try to figure out the best place to put them. I came up with the 3 location in the attached photo of my room, but each of them has a trade-off, and I'm not sure which would be best. Or feel free to suggest another location. I'm also open to the suggestion that less-than-ideal surround back would be worse than no surround back. I'm using a Denon 2113ci, so hopefully the Audyssey MultEQ XT will help forgive the less than ideal locations. So, here's my thoughts for the 3 locations I have in the photo.

1) This would put the surround backs about the same distance at the surrounds L/R, 5' from my listening position, and the same height, about 2' above my head in the listening position. The surround back right would be about in the right location, but the surround back left would be on the same wall and behind the surround left. I'd angle it to have all 4 speakers converging on my main listening position, but that surround back left would still be out of place. This is also the most intrusive into my dining area behind the couch, and my wife wouldn't like this since I'd have to move her wall decorations.

2) This position would probably be the most ideal if the back wall wasn't so far from the main viewing area. This would put the surround backs 10' from the listening position, double that of the surrounds. It would also be the most difficult to wire, and my wife would like this less than position 1.

3) This position would probably be the easiest to place, my wife would like it the most, and I could get both speakers the correct distance from my listening position. The downside here, obviously, is they would be mounted to the ceiling, about 2' higher than the surrounds. I'd angle them downward so all the sounds converged at the same location, about 2' above my head in the main listening position.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'd pursue either #3, or somewhat toward the rear a bit more nearer the fan, not much,.. just a bit.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. With position #3 I would want to angle the speakers down and in a bit toward my listening position, correct? Do I want to aim them so the sound would be pointed at me, or above my head so they'd intersect with the sound coming from the surrounds above my head? I've never been real clear on where to aim the surround backs.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Can you put them in the back tri-corners of the room (where the back corners meet the ceiling)? The 10' distance from the side speakers won't be a problem once you calibrate levels and delays.

Sanjay
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Can you put them in the back tri-corners of the room (where the back corners meet the ceiling)? The 10' distance from the side speakers won't be a problem once you calibrate levels and delays.

I could put them there. I hadn't considered that one. What benefits would that have over spot 2 or 3, other than aesthetics? I have some monoprice 33lb speaker brackets, so I can put them pretty much anywhere.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

After telling my wife about that possible location, she insisted I put them there. I just finished hanging them, and running the cable. I'll run Audyssey tomorrow hopefully, and watch a 7.1 movie tomorrow to try it out. Thanks.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page