Need help audio/video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My ps3 has hdmi running to a Vizio and optical running to a sony digital audio control center (surround sound). I do not have remotes for my tv nor the surround sound. I can not figure out how to make my surround sound play the optical. the optical input is under the digital cataglory. I cannot find the input selector for the optical on the surround sound. What options do i have to make sound go from playstation to surround sound and still be able to run the hdmi to the tv. My surround sound has no hdmi ports on it unfortunatly. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My ps3 is in storage right now, so I can't tell you exactly, but I think what you might need to do is go into your ps3 audio settings and choose optical instead of hdmi. Then, assuming your AVR is set to the input for which you plugged your optical cable into (game, TV/Video, etc), you should have sound from your AVR and not your TV. If it's already setup that way and you're still not getting audio from your AVR, reply back.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot set my surround sound to where it will play the optical input. I cannot figure out how. Playstation is already set to play sound through optical cable and video though hdmi. I think I just need to find a good remote for my surround sound where I can switch features and make it to where it's playing through the optical cable? Would you have any suggestions on where to get it from and what brand to get?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM

You shouldn't have to set anything in your AVR to use optical vs. HDMI. If you think that there is a setting in your AVR, I would find the owners manual online and read through it to find how to change that setting.

Are you sure your AVR is set to the input where you plugged in your optical cable?

I really think this is a PS3 setting that needs to be changed though. Maybe do a search on ps3 optical.

HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Check out the last post on this link.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/No-Sound-from-PS3-through-HDMI-to-TV-then-Optical-Cable-to/td-p/6568865

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Another great link, and this explains the problem I was thinking of. Its around the 3rd post or so.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/768498/anyone-else-still-having-ps3-optical-out-problems

Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

no im pretty sure that its because I do not have my surround sound on the right input. since i dont have the remote, i can only play sound out of video 1, video 2, dvd, sa-cd/cd, fm, and am. I have to have the remote to switch from video 1, video 2, ect. to digital or optical input. By any chance do you know of any way i can make it to where audio is through rca and video is though hdmi?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind. I figured it out. I went onto audio settings in playstation and put it though rca. Easier than I thought. biggrin.gif