Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Audiophiles seem to make this mistake a zillion times. Someone comes up with a real effect that happens only to a microscopic degree, and then they want to spend a quintillion dollars fixing it. 

Yes - meanwhile they ignore absolutely HUGE room-induced deviations in the frequency response. Amazing how they reckon they can hear the minute differences between one DAC and another, yet seem oblivious to a 20-30dB peak or null in their FR.

Right I need a DAC that is +/- 0.1 dB to 40 KHz but forget about my speaker's tweeter that takes a big dive at 18 KHz or peaks at 25 Khz, and a room with 20-30 dB dips and peaks due to standing waves and other reflections. And let's forget about what my ears ignore due to masking and the losses we see in Fletcher Munson curves (known about since the 1930s). ;-)

Oh yes - but let's forget all that. Let's focus on hearing the differences between DACs. Or on the obvious audible sonic degradation that happens if we stupidly leave a telephone in the room while using our stereo systems... wink.gif

Right. I seem to recall that Ivor even found this *problem* with cell phones. Sighted evaluations are marvelous - its sort of like learning the laws of physics by reading an author who free-associates. ;-)

LOL. The sad thing is that people waste so much of their budget in areas that make little or no difference to the sound quality, when they could spend that cash where it really matters. Why some people get ticked off and aggressive when you try to help them stop wasting their money has always been beyond me. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page