Multiple listener volume control. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Background: (you can skip this if you want to jump to the crux of my dilemma.) Just installed my first receiver and 5.1 surround speaker system, and I love it. My brother in-law and nephew (who lives with us) loves it too. And at first, the wife even loved it, but that has changed. The brother in-law and nephew are always cranking up the volume. You would swear they are half deaf, until someone whispers Twinkies, and then the come running. biggrin.gif Anyway, I don't think it is as much of an issue when we are all watching TV, but the living room is centrally located in the house, and it is especially annoying when only a few people are watching, and the others are trying to cook, read, or otherwise hold a conversation. (I have already played with some of the receiver settings to level out the volume of people speaking vs explosions and other louder events.)

Issue: I would love to spit my audio into a controllable combination of speaker output (which can at times be set to low, but present, volume), and multiple wireless headsets, that have independent volume levels so those who want, or need higher volume can have it without driving the others in the house crazy. (I understand that you loose some of the bass effects and other benefits from all the sound coming from the speakers, but if mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.) Any one have any ideas, alternate suggestions, or a link to where this issue has bee previously addressed? Thank you all for your time and consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Depending on the receiver you may be able to setup a volume limit or otherwise tweak channel levels to a point where the loudest volume you can get meets WAF. Then your brother-in-law and nephew will just have to live with the new maximum volumes that make momma happy (which in turn presents an opportunity for everyone else to be happy).

Honestly, it sounds more like you have a people issue and while technology is great, you may not be able to solve a people issue by throwing more technology at it... especially if that technology complicates the system any for momma.

Good Luck!

Perhaps if you post some specifics on the receiver, speakers and equipment you have as well as the wireless headphones you are considering you will get more help.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessnewb View Post

Background: (you can skip this if you want to jump to the crux of my dilemma.) Just installed my first receiver and 5.1 surround speaker system, and I love it. My brother in-law and nephew (who lives with us) loves it too. And at first, the wife even loved it, but that has changed. The brother in-law and nephew are always cranking up the volume. You would swear they are half deaf, until someone whispers Twinkies, and then the come running. biggrin.gif Anyway, I don't think it is as much of an issue when we are all watching TV, but the living room is centrally located in the house, and it is especially annoying when only a few people are watching, and the others are trying to cook, read, or otherwise hold a conversation. (I have already played with some of the receiver settings to level out the volume of people speaking vs explosions and other louder events.)

Issue: I would love to spit my audio into a controllable combination of speaker output (which can at times be set to low, but present, volume), and multiple wireless headsets, that have independent volume levels so those who want, or need higher volume can have it without driving the others in the house crazy. (I understand that you loose some of the bass effects and other benefits from all the sound coming from the speakers, but if mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.) Any one have any ideas, alternate suggestions, or a link to where this issue has bee previously addressed? Thank you all for your time and consideration.

I suspect that you can adjust the AVRs internal level controls so that it can be turned up to only a certain limited loudness, and that's it.

That leaves the headphones. It turns out that many wireless headphones can be driven by line level signals and actually need no AVR. They also have their own volume controls. I run a Y-cord off of the coax output of my TV set (which switches among all available inputs) and one split of the Y goes to the AVR and the other goes to a Surround decoder that drives the headphones. That makes the headphone world completely independent of the loudspeaker world right down to the AVR's power switch.

The Surround decoder was a lucky find in my store room, but Fiio has a D07 Stereo/Surround decoder that sells for under $80 http://www.amazon.com/D07-Advanced-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00BB4AECI/ref=sr_1_20

Depending on what equipment you have, there must be other ways to accomplish something similar with the more common HDMI setup and running all components through the AVR. Probably something like a splitter between the AVR output and the Video display or projector.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you walterappleby and arnyk for the replies!! Blow is my current setup, humble by this sites standards, but it's a start. smile.gif
TV: Vizio 70" UM_E701iA3 Smart TV
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-522-K
Input sources to the receiver:
Cable DVR (via HDMI)
Blue-ray Player (via HDMI)
Wii game console (via composite)
TV sound (for smart TV functions like Amazon and Netflix) (via 2-way HDMI ARC setup)
Output from the receiver:
Speakers (Energy Take Classic 5.1)
TV (via HDMI)

My current plan is to leave the speaker levels as is. (Don't want to have to change them when we are all watching, or when I want to turn it up.) I think I will try to send the audio signal through the speakers (via receiver), and to the TV (via the HDMI), and try to tap into the TV sound out RCA to route to a wireless headset transmitter. Without trial and error I am concerned about my ability to get sound out, considering I have HDMI sound out on the TV configured for sending sound to my receiver for smart TV function like streaming, but it can't hurt to try.

Thanks again!!