help with theory on watts and clean sound - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The whole 3 dB thing is underrated I think. People always seem to scoff if they think they can only squeeze a measly 3 dB more out of a sound system when in fact while you're playing something very loud already and the peak lights are flickering you wish that you could go just a little louder. 3dB is pretty significant when things are already very loud. Heck even 1 dB can be a big enough gain when you're pushing close to concert level volumes. There are times when I wish my subwoofer amp could give just a little bit more and 3 dB would be more than enough. If you want insane volume gains past that then you need to take a look at getting more sensitive speakers and/or looking into buying a stand alone amp preferably around 200 to 300 watts per channel.

Of course upgrading is pointless if you're just afraid of running out of power but don't actually run out. Just about any good receiver that shoves out 90 to 100 watts into your speakers is usually enough power. Like mcnarus said, extra headroom that you're never going to use is useless.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
Mr. Audio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joker97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
thanks ... haven't really grasped every variable that affects clipping of my speakers but it does sound like i'm good. so thanks biggrin.gif

All things in moderation, including moderation itself.
joker97 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 AM
 
arnyk@pcavtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: grosse pointe woods mich
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

The whole 3 dB thing is underrated I think. People always seem to scoff if they think they can only squeeze a measly 3 dB more out of a sound system when in fact while you're playing something very loud already and the peak lights are flickering you wish that you could go just a little louder.

I have a number of friends who have invested a lot of money in a number of those extra 3 dB's. I have a friend with a fine collection of nicely-engineered upper end waveguide speakers that can actually reach 130+ dB from 20 to 20 KHz. Loud and clean!

My part of the equation is helping people determine what they actually want and want to pay for. For months I've been pointing to people how to listen to a 3 dB change for themselves and just lately I've been trying to help people find out where they currently are on the clean dB SPL scale.

I'm not into helping people just throw equipment at a poorly-defined problem when they can quickly define the benefits and costs for themselves.
Quote:
3dB is pretty significant when things are already very loud.
Heck even 1 dB can be a big enough gain when you're pushing close to concert level volumes.

I think that is something that people need to judge for themselves. Yes, when you are clipping out a 1,000 watt amplifier it is probably going to cost some real money to get the next 3 dB. I don't think most people come to AVS to justifty spending more money. They come here to obtain improved sound quality and money is usually an issue.

Quote:
There are times when I wish my subwoofer amp could give just a little bit more and 3 dB would be more than enough.

That's a choice that you get to make! ;-)
Quote:
If you want insane volume gains past that then you need to take a look at getting more sensitive speakers and/or looking into buying a stand alone amp preferably around 200 to 300 watts per channel.

Fact is that more sensitive speakers is probably the better sounding and cost effective way to go, as long as you can play that card. Less so for subwoofers because size and efficiency are bound together.
Quote:
Of course upgrading is pointless if you're just afraid of running out of power but don't actually run out. Just about any good receiver that shoves out 90 to 100 watts into your speakers is usually enough power. Like mcnarus said, extra headroom that you're never going to use is useless.

Agreed.
arnyk@pcavtech is offline  
 

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off