Can I combine my 5.1 and my 2.1 to make a 6.2 system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a Sony 5.1 receiver, a Bose 2.1 receiver and a plan that I really hope I can make work (with your help). Ideally I would take the center speaker output from my Sony system and run that to the auxiliary input on the Bose system to use the entire Bose 2.1 system as the 'center speaker'. I have done a little research and believe that there might be some issues taking the high signal from the first receiver output and trying to use it as a low auxiliary input without some sort of adapter.

If you have any input on how I might pull this off without destroying something I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjj122 View Post

Hello,
I have done a little research and believe that there might be some issues taking the high signal from the first receiver output and trying to use it as a low auxiliary input without some sort of adapter.

There are adapters for car audio that do this (convert high level speaker wire to line level RCA), and yes, you'll need one. I can't say that the results will be stellar, especially since center channel sound should come from head on in the center and not two separate speakers (phantom center aside.)

You're welcome to try it out.
sjj122 likes this.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If the Sony AVR has a center channel pre-out then yes, it could work. However, the end result may be less than desirable.

What are the model #'s for the AVR's?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

The Sony is an STR-k900 and the Bose is AV3-2-1ll GSX. Unfortunately the Sony does not have a pre-amp option.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

There are adapters for car audio that do this (convert high level speaker wire to line level RCA), and yes, you'll need one. I can't say that the results will be stellar, especially since center channel sound should come from head on in the center and not two separate speakers (phantom center aside.)

You're welcome to try it out.

Thank you for the advice. My need arises since I am unable to use a single center speaker (space between TV and fireplace and TV and ceiling is very minimal) and there already was an in-wall 2.1 Bose system in the rental unit.

Is there any particular name for the device you are referencing or is something like this sufficient:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-KISL-2-Channel-High-Level-Speaker-Wire-to-RCA-Adaptor-Hi-Lo-Convert-2-Ft-/350823617443
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjj122 View Post

My need arises since I am unable to use a single center speaker (space between TV and fireplace and TV and ceiling is very minimal)

I would look to use a "phantom center" rather than trying to incorporate the Bose.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page