Moving my stuff into the garage with no room treatment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So our living room is smallish with an open setting (no walls between it and the kitchen,which is a l-shaped kitchen design) and there are two huge ass bookshelves in there. I was thinking of moving our components into the garage and was wondering if I'd be giving up a lot of quality in terms of audio. It's a typical garage - drywall, concrete floor, garage door. It's also nice and square. At first I was thinking it wouldn't work too well but then I started thinking with a living room not separated by any walls from the kitchen or hallway, would it really be so bad? Granted, it isn't as aesthetically pleasing (boxes from moving in piled on one wall) but with a folding partition or room divider it can easily be covered up and I was thinking I could put down a decent sized area rug. Renovations aren't really possible as it is a rental home.

Any thoughts?

I posted this here instead of the home theater forum since I will be doing no treatment or anything and figured this is the better spot as AQ is my main concern. Thanks for any and all input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Without the dimensions and information about what kind of flooring is in the living room it's not really possible for us to really gauge exactly how sorry you'll be that you moved your HT into the garage with absolutely no treatment. I'm pretty sure you will be sorry you did, just not how sorry you'll be. The sound in the garage will be so distorted by echo that you will only need one speaker to achieve surround. It will sound terrible. When I moved into my house 3 months ago I had a choice of taking the wide open great room complete with hardwood floors and a whole lot of echo that I would not be able to treat with panels because of WAF or the long and narrow carpeted room where my speakers would be (and are) very close to the side walls. All the echo of the garage will destroy any potential of quality sound. No treatment in a small carpeted room will always beat the pants off of a non-treated garage.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm afraid I don't have dimensions. I could easily get them I suppose. Living room is typical subflooring and carpet. My brother in law had the "great" idea of placing the tower speakers on their side on the top of the book shelves to save space. Because you know, placing tower speakers on their side 7-8 feet high won't alter the sound quality at all. Sounds like if I want it to work in the garage I'd need to do subflooring, carpet and get some primer on the drywall.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

If you must do the garage, your money and time will be much better spent on sound panels all along the garage walls especially at the first and second reflection points and some big area rugs instead of building a sub floor with carpet. This will highly attenuate the reflections off of the drywall. Primer won't do anything. It's actually cheaper and better if you just make room treatments because they're not permanent and they will make your garage sound tolerable. Is there any particular reason why you want to avoid acoustic treatments?

post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

If you must do the garage, your money and time will be much better spent on sound panels all along the garage walls especially at the first and second reflection points and some big area rugs instead of building a sub floor with carpet. This will highly attenuate the reflections off of the drywall. Primer won't do anything. It's actually cheaper and better if you just make room treatments because they're not permanent and they will make your garage sound tolerable. Is there any particular reason why you want to avoid acoustic treatments?

Honestly? Mostly due to a lack of knowledge on my part and wanting to keep costs down. (I wouldn't even put in sub-flooring anyways since we're renting the house.)

post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Well sound panels you make now can be used when you move to another place. About knowing where to place them; there is information readily available to tell you where they should be placed and how to figure it out. I didn't start thinking about sound panels until I moved in my new place a few months back because I have always gotten by with "it sounds good enough". But my new room didn't sound good enough and I knew I needed to do something if I was ever gonna have any sanity while listening to my stuff again. Let's put it this way. The only way you will know how badly the echo will bother you is to hear it first hand. You may think it sounds good enough. You may not be as picky as some of us. The only way you'll know for sure is to just do it.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page