How much should i move front tower speakers away from front wall for air ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much should i move my front speakers away from the front wall ? I mean , im running them at LARGE setting , and when bass takes place in a movie , alot of air comes out from the hole on the back of the speaker. Wall is concrete and i sit about 2.4 meters away from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

How much should i move my front speakers away from the front wall ? I mean , im running them at LARGE setting , and when bass takes place in a movie , alot of air comes out from the hole on the back of the speaker. Wall is concrete and i sit about 2.4 meters away from them.

Leave them where they are and obtain a subwoofer.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Yes buy a subwoofer... But your front speakers should be placed where they sound best and have best imaging. For instance I have floor standing tower speakers and they are 12" away from the side walls and 18" from the front wall. I also have them toed in so that they cross 12" in front of the main listening postion, this provides the best possible sound from my speakers in my room. I had them where they crossed 12" behind the main listening position, then played with the placement and angle a bit. I found that by having them cross infront of the MLP you can sit a little to the left or right and the stereo image doesn't collapse to that side because even though you are closer to one speaker it is angled away from you and the speaker that is farther from you is angled towards you so it helps keep a stable stereo image even when not sitting in the dead center (the sweet spot).

Shawn
post #4 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Yes buy a subwoofer... But your front speakers should be placed where they sound best and have best imaging. For instance I have floor standing tower speakers and they are 12" away from the side walls and 18" from the front wall. I also have them toed in so that they cross 12" in front of the main listening postion, this provides the best possible sound from my speakers in my room. I had them where they crossed 12" behind the main listening position, then played with the placement and angle a bit. I found that by having them cross infront of the MLP you can sit a little to the left or right and the stereo image doesn't collapse to that side because even though you are closer to one speaker it is angled away from you and the speaker that is farther from you is angled towards you so it helps keep a stable stereo image even when not sitting in the dead center (the sweet spot).

Which makes the point that having a subwoofer means not having to position your towers while thinking about optimizing bass. Instead you can focus on imaging and tonal balance.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

How far are you sitting from your front speakers? I only ask because I have heard someone else (magazine reviewer) state the same configuration of the L/R towers. I tried this, but it made my L/R towers completely angled in (crazy looking inward like 70* or so). I sit about 11ft. away or so from the speakers.

I figured I ask again before moving things all over again.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 01:08 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

How far are you sitting from your front speakers? I only ask because I have heard someone else (magazine reviewer) state the same configuration of the L/R towers. I tried this, but it made my L/R towers completely angled in (crazy looking inward like 70* or so). I sit about 11ft. away or so from the speakers.

I figured I ask again before moving things all over again.

Just as a matter of advice, I wouldn't put too much stock in what magazine reveiwers say. Room acoustics are a significant part of the sound of your system so it is illogical to think that doing what a reviewer did in his room would have the same effect as it would in your room. Reviewers should tell you this but I doubt that sort of thing helps magazine sales. Acoustics are all about reflections. Where you place and aim things and what is between the source, the reflections and your ears all contribute to the overall sound. No two rooms are the same. So there isn't any definitive answer to your question. All you can do is experiment and settle for something that is appealing to you.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Read this related to SBIR, http://gikacoustics.com/speaker-boundary-interference-response-sbir/
Quote:
SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response) – This is a term to describe how the proximity of a speaker to a hard boundary (wall/ceiling/floor) will change the response, especially in the low end.
This is something that not a lot of people understand nor consider when planning a room.
Generally, your best off if the distance from speaker face to front wall, driver centers to side wall, and driver center to floor are 3 different dimensions in order to not reinforce any specific set of harmonics by having all the boundaries generate the same SBIR effect.

want to read more on SBIR, good links in here
Google SBIR results

I have Paradigm Monitor 9 floor standing speakers, they have dual tuned bass ports in the rear of them.
I've found via measurements the "best" - or optimized - location is just a few inches from the front wall.
One factor is SBIR, hence I post that info above.
For me, my driver "acoustic center" and room layout and speaker location dictated that.
I've spent more than a few hours listening, measuring, moving them, then "rinse-n-repeat" the cycle.
HT%252011.3%2520cover%2520off%2520Pano-b.jpg
post #8 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the replies and links. I was just interested in the point (by the reviewer) about having the speakers cross in front of the main listening position (would help off axis listening by not being able to have just one speaker being dominant). I have a large couch, so the "sweet spot" really isn't used that much (kids will sit where they want).

Reading some other posts. Some say that if your L/R are too far away from the edges of the screen, you loose the sound field (when cars pan, etc.). My L/R are about two feet away on each side of the screen (it hasn't bothered me so far). If I were to place the speakers on either side of the screen, it would be inside the listening area on the left and right side of the couch. Does this effect listeners if they are outside the speakers (out of the bubble)? I guess the only way would be to listen and play with it. My wife and kids, however, don't love to tinker as much as me. Nothing like having eight eyes burning holes into the back of you while you move things around for hours.biggrin.gif

Nice HT set up Mike. My dream set up isn't as nice as yours.eek.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

The rule of thumb for speaker stereo separation is to form an equilateral triangle with you and the speakers on the corners. Not a rule, just a rule of thumb. I think getting the separation right is more important than where the speakers are relative to the screen. Toe in angle depends on that as well as driver dispersion and room acoustics. If toe in sound better then use toe in. If extreme toe in sounds better, then use extreme toe in. Trial and error.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Initially the OP was inquiring about distance from the front wall with speakers with rear base ports. I think there have been more suggestions about toe in, spacing from the screen and left and right walls. I don't remember what my manual said for my Meridians with rear ports, but they did mention a minimum. Seems like the manual for speakers with rear ports would specifically deal with that irrespective of other dimensioning.

Patrick
post #11 of 13 Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Why? Speakers operate in rooms and all rooms are different.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
With recessed speaker terminals or right angle connectors he may have his speakers tight to the front wall. With rear base ports, THAT is the one place you don't want it. Once away from the wall you can make all kinds of adjustments.

Patrick
post #13 of 13 Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
For my room with 2 rows and 8 seats it was a compromise for toe in of the front RH and LH, since not just 1 MLP in a HT, so you do need to experiment.

Basic advice given here is good, also turn your mains to small and use a sub if not already, like arny and others suggested.

For more "fun", read this on speaker and room loading, good stuff,
http://www.trueaudio.com/st_spcs1.htm
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page