Home Theater Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. I used to be on here a lot but cannot access that account as the e-mail is no longer active so I created a new account. Its been a long time since I set up my Home Theater but we just bought a new house. Unfortunately the TV room is very oddly shaped and I believe it will present a challenge. also the house has plaster walls. Here is my proposed layout.

I would appreciate any opinions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman007 View Post

Hey everyone. I used to be on here a lot but cannot access that account as the e-mail is no longer active so I created a new account. Its been a long time since I set up my Home Theater but we just bought a new house. Unfortunately the TV room is very oddly shaped and I believe it will present a challenge. also the house has plaster walls. Here is my proposed layout.

I would appreciate any opinions

What's oddly shaped about a rectangle? It might help to see some dimensions for the room but at first glance it doesn't appear that you have too many problems with placement options. Rear surrounds might need to be a little closer and side surrounds back a bit.

What are your goals, listening/viewing habits, preferences, equipment, budget for changes/upgrades, etc...?

post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Room is 20 by 16ft 5 inches. The door on the wall by the TV is really what throws it off. Most of the equipment is listed on the drawing but I will list here. The room is a the living room so it is multi purpose. Really the only time we are in there is to watch TV\Movies.

I am going to be running wall plates and am really trying to go for a clean installation. The house was a full rehab and this is the only room not done.

I think I am going to have to put the surrounds on stands due to the room config. I should be able to get the front presence speakers up on the wall.

budget is negotiable but funds are running low lol

I do listen to music as well but I am usually in the bar room which will be zone 2. I am thinking of getting one of those amp 310's to power my cerwin Vega VS-150's in that room.

Was really curious if anyone here sees any problems with this proposed layout.

Samsung PN64D7000 Plasma TV
Yamaha Aventage A3020
2X JBL Studio 190's
6X JBL Studio 130's
1X JBL Studio 120C
Panasonic BDT 310 Blu Ray
Xbox 360
PS3
Core I7 HTPC
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 22
That 2-seater couch is quite a bit "off-axis", no?

Are you keeping it against that wall for aesthetics, or can you move it into the room more to help form an "L" with your main couch? I see the entry ways there, but am not sure of what clearance you'd have.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the love seat is off. I have it that way because of the window and needing a place to set that surround speaker. I think I am going to run temp cables to power everything up to give a listen and make adjustments before I put in all the wall plates and run the cabling. The nice thing is there is a basement room right underneath so that's where I am planning on running the cabling. It's really just the wife and I now with an occasional visitor, and sometimes a small crowd for football etc. I think I am going to get 2 recliners and move the big couch to the wall on the left eventually.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
based on your room, I would go with a 5.1 configuration since you're unable to move the couch into the room and keep the surround speakers where the surround back speakers are at on the diagram.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page