Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Equipment:
Denon X4000
Def Tech Prosub 1000
Def Tech ProCinema 1000 Speakers
Def Tech ProCinema 1000 Center

I have a 5.1 setup and after running Audyssey XT32 my speakers and sub sound very quiet.

Here are the default settings I got after the setup:
- The front, center, and surrounds are “small”
- FL = +.5db – Changed to +2.5 manually
- C = 0db
- FR = +0db – Changed to +4 manually
- Surround R = +1db – Changed to +2 manually
- Surround L = +1.5db
- Sub = -12db – Changed to +1 manually
- Front = 60Hz – Changed to 90Hz manually
- Center = 60Hz – Changed to 100Hz manually
- Surround = 80Hz – Changed to 110Hz manually
- Sub = 80Hz (can go up to 250Hz), Set on ‘LFE’ Not ‘LFE + Main’ – Changed to 100Hz manually
- The knob on the back of the sub I have set at 150Hz (Max)

My question is why did Audyssey set everything so quiet? The whole apartment was quiet and I followed the setup instructions to the dot. I have to turn the volume up to almost 55 to get anything decent sound out before I made any adjustments. It’s a little better now after the adjustments, but I’m still around 40 on my volume.

I know the fronts should probably be replaced, but it won’t happen for a few months. Any inputs/advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is irrelevent what number you see when you set volume level. Actually many receivers/processors have an option to show actual level in dB below/above reference. Check manual to see if yours have that option. I wouldn't worry if desired volume level is achieved at 3/4 of max volume setting.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTznoTLoGiK View Post

Equipment:
Denon X4000
Def Tech Prosub 1000
Def Tech ProCinema 1000 Speakers
Def Tech ProCinema 1000 Center

I have a 5.1 setup and after running Audyssey XT32 my speakers and sub sound very quiet.

Here are the default settings I got after the setup:
- The front, center, and surrounds are “small”
- FL = +.5db – Changed to +2.5 manually
- C = 0db
- FR = +0db – Changed to +4 manually
- Surround R = +1db – Changed to +2 manually
- Surround L = +1.5db
- Sub = -12db – Changed to +1 manually
- Front = 60Hz – Changed to 90Hz manually
- Center = 60Hz – Changed to 100Hz manually
- Surround = 80Hz – Changed to 110Hz manually
- Sub = 80Hz (can go up to 250Hz), Set on ‘LFE’ Not ‘LFE + Main’ – Changed to 100Hz manually
- The knob on the back of the sub I have set at 150Hz (Max)

My question is why did Audyssey set everything so quiet? The whole apartment was quiet and I followed the setup instructions to the dot. I have to turn the volume up to almost 55 to get anything decent sound out before I made any adjustments. It’s a little better now after the adjustments, but I’m still around 40 on my volume.

I know the fronts should probably be replaced, but it won’t happen for a few months. Any inputs/advice would be appreciated.

the trim levels set after running your auto-calibration program are designed to achieve reference movie level spl's at your main listening position aka the first measurement point, when running audyssey. reference is defined as 85dB average with 105dB peaks when the master volume is set at 0db (80 if not using the dB volume scale) - note this standard is for movies - music etc does not partake in a universal reference level. altering your speaker trim levels will alter the reference level point on your volume scale and can some times lead to an unbalanced surround sound experience..

Also audyssey originally set your trim level at -12dB which tells me that your gain is up too high. you are probably suffereing from bloated boomy bass right now (unless you are sitting in a null). you need to turn your gain down on your sub and re-run audyssey. the goal is to get within +/- 3db on 0. it may sound anemic and weak at first, but once you tried it this way for several days i am sure you will come to enjoy accurate bass. some guys still run subs a bit hot, say 2-3dB in most cases, but this is a preference thing. you turning yours up 12dB is not a good way to experience accurate bass or lfe.

Best advice I got for you, turn your sub's gain down and shoot for the trim to be set as close to +/- 3db of 0. leave your speaker trim levels alone and set your crossovers between 60-100hz depending on speaker capabilities. 80hz of the often recommend starting point. then listen to your system for a while before tweaking it any more. If after some time of getting accustomed to the more accurate sound (for movies) then try bumping your sub or center channel's trim level up to see if you like it. And dont worry to much about what the volume level reading is on whichever scale you are using. It is mostly meaningless except at reference. Most people will find that they will use the regular volume scale at approx 40-70 most of the time depending on content. the dB scale if you choose to use will often be at around -30 to -5 dB (the lower the number the louder it is).

also check out the official audyssey FAQ thread.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Because the volume display is in dB, assuming a person is using the absolute (not relative to reference) display, and that the max is 80, at 55 they are using just over 1/400 of the power available at 80 (each 10 dB is one tenth power, so 70 would be 1/10, 60 would be 1/10 of 1/10 or 1/100. each 3 dB is half or double power so at 54 (six db below 60 would be 1/2 of 1/2 or 1/4 of the power at 60 . . .

IOW, as stated above, don't let the numbers on the volume display make you think you're doing something you're not.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
(1) Change your volume Scale to the (-79.5 dB to +18.0 dB) range from the default (0 to 98) range (see p. 155 of PDF manual). It will be easier to discuss the volume setting with other Audyssey users after you do that.

(2) Your sub level is now much too high. Rerun Audyssey with the volume control on the sub itself turned lower. Your goal is to have Audyssey put the sub trim between -5 and +5. To save time, tell Audyssey to calculate results after measuring at the main (first) listener position only. Adjust sub volume again if needed. When you see the sub trim between -5 and +5, then run the Audyssey setup with all the listener positions.

(3) After running Audyssey, leave all the speakers at the default trim positions, at least for a while. Give yourself a chance to judge how your system sounds with the defaults.

(4) Check that all the Audyssey control settings are at their default positions. See p. 156-157 of manual. MultEQ XT32 = Audyssey (default), Dynamic EQ = On, Reference Level Offset = 0 dB, Dynamic Volume = Off, LFC = Off.

(5) Start listening with the volume setting at -40 dB. (Note: -40 dB on the -79.5 to +18.0 scale is the same as +40 on the 0 to 98 scale, which is where you have it now.) Then turn it up gradually until you're happy. 0 dB is considered "movie reference level" but I'm guessing you won't need to go nearly that high in volume.

edit: More on reasons for my procedure. Your sub level is so high now that you may "bottom out" the sub (on bass-heavy material) before the other speakers get even medium-loud. In other words "Sub level very HIGH compared to other speakers" is the same thing as "other speaker levels very LOW compared to sub". My general idea is to let Audyssey set your system the way it thinks is correct. Then adjust Volume to a "comfortably loud" level. Then allow a little time for your ears get used to that sound, before making any other changes.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page