Wiring question: Multi-room speaker set up from rough in by builders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello, I hope this is the right forum to post in. As always many seem to apply. I will keep my question as brief as possible.

I have just moved into a new home and four rooms are roughed in for two speakers each. I have bought four sets of speakers, and a Quest 4.1 QLS Loudspeaker Switcher. I installed the speakers without issue, every room had two wire in wall rated speaker wire ready in ceiling so all good there.

Question (or where I ran into trouble):
--- The wires running to where I need install the wall switch when I pulled the plate off were more complex that I expected. The dining room wall plate when removed had as expected the two, two wire cables from the speakers which I connected to the audio control output easily (Quest QVCII 75 Watts In Wall Impedance Matched Stereo volume Control). However I didn't expect two four wire speaker wires to be in there as well. One of the two running to the basement (where all of the rooms four wire heads to for hook up) is simple enough, and I connected that to the receiver side of the wall volume control Quest module. But.... what do I do with the four wire that seems to be coming from upstairs and ends in this box as well? I may have expected to see a four wire from the upstairs bedroom that is a part of this set up running straight through to the basement, but in the wall box the four wire cable running from up inside the wall ends in this box, and a new one runs from the box into the basement (as mentioned before).

What do I do with the four wire running from above into the wall outlet space? (I currently pig-tailed it in to the one connected to the receiver side of the wall outlet but before powering it up... thought I had better ask). smile.gif

EDIT:** Note that I checked all four wall outlet spots and only the dining room has this "extra" four wire, wire. All the others have three wires (two, two wire from the speaker, and one four wire going to the termination point in the basement panel - those are fine).

Thanks so much in advance for anyone willing to share their time. I will certainly pay it forward as I learn and grow in this great community.

Thank you!
Big Felter (Dave)

Thank you in advance for the support of this great community. I will be sure to pay it all forward as I build my skill set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
if there are speakers "upstairs"....is there a wall outlet box in that room as well ? It is possible the installer skimped on the wiring and ran the other room's wiring into a common box ....... if so, a crappy way to do things.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi m_vanmeter, thanks for the reply

The upstairs bedroom (for clarity the four rooms wired are: upstairs bedroom, main floor exercise room, main floor kitchen, main floor dining room) does have an outlet for a volume control attached is a picture of what is inside of that one. In that case I got what I expected. The two wires I am holding up are the two, two wire connections from the speakers. The bottom wire is a four wire that would go downstairs (heads down inside the wall is the only thing I can confirm). That seems all good.

If they were all like this I wouldn't have an issue. It's that main floor one that has the extra 4 four wire running and terminating (cut) in the box there (main floor dining room)

EDIT:** Note that I checked all four wall outlet spots and only the dining room has this "extra" four wire, wire. All the others have three wires (two, two wire from the speaker, and one four wire going to the termination point in the basement panel - those are fine).

Thank you in advance for the support of this great community. I will be sure to pay it all forward as I build my skill set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
are the wires identified in any way ? Could the "extra" 4 conductor wire run back to the equipment location ?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again, and thank you. I took another look to be sure based on your reply. In the basement (which is unfinished) near the electrical panel there are four, four wire runs which are looped together and sitting by the electrical panel. These are the four, four wire runs, one from each room that was wired. I can not find any other four wire in the basement ceiling anywhere so I am confident (now after looking again) in saying that there are no extra runs downstairs.

It may help to say that in the dining room outlet in question there is a four wire from up above, but it ends in the outlet box. Then also there is a four wire that starts in the outlet and runs downstairs, as well as the two, two wire from the speakers.

I guess I will just leave it pig tailed in as I have, or maybe even try to disconnect it when the whole system is hooked up and running and see if it changes anything. If I figure it out I will let you know. Thanks again redface.gif)

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page