Blu ray dts and dts receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a older avr in a package deal so tossed my harmon kardon 145 in the closet. I got everything hooked up right hdmi from blu ray to avr and hdmi from tv to avr. When I play some blu rays only the front speakers light up, I rent the new gi joe and it does 7.1 but only my fronts are lit up, and it's playing dts neo 6. Is it because of the avr not able to output the dts? It's a denon 3806, and I'm also trying to figure out how to program the remote to switch from tv to bluray audio and video, can't figure it out! Thanks for any help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
G.I. Joe Retaliation? That's a Dolby /Digital/TrueHD disc, not a DTS-HD disc.

DTS Neo6 is kicking in to handle a 5.1 soundtrack to 7.1, since your AVR can't do the native 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 32 Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

G.I. Joe Retaliation? That's a Dolby /Digital/TrueHD disc, not a DTS-HD disc.

DTS Neo6 is kicking in to handle a 5.1 soundtrack to 7.1, since your AVR can't do the native 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack.

I know that but shouldn't all the speakers light up, not just the fronts when dts Neo 6 is on?
post #4 of 32 Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
When you talk about the speakers lighting up, do you mean the input indicator on the AVR display showing the channels being sent by the source? If you are only getting a stereo input, that's an issue with the source, not the receiver. What player are you using and how is it configured for audio output?
post #5 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Lg bp330 ill have to check the output in the menu was dts 5.1 last time I checked.
post #6 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjets00 View Post

Lg bp330 ill have to check the output in the menu was dts 5.1 last time I checked.

Hi newyorkjets00, it appear maybe the LG BD player audio output menu is set to "PCM Stereo" instead of " Re-Encoder".
newyorkjets00 likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi newyorkjets00, it appear maybe the LG BD player audio output menu is set to "PCM Stereo" instead of " Re-Encoder".

It's on dts re-encode.. This is what I mean when lit up
post #8 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Do the BD player audio menu has a setting for Bitstream or Primary Pass-through? If so try that setting.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try Bitstream instead of DTS re-encode.

post #10 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know, the 3806 is HDMI 1.1 and lacks lossless decoders. The optimal setting for the player would be PCM Multi-Ch.

However, when set to DTS Re-encode, the player should not be sending stereo unless the source material is actually stereo.

Sometimes the audio handshake with the TV forces the source device to downmix and send stereo instead of multichannel. I believe the Denon has a setting to disable the HDMI audio output, which would solve that problem if, in fact, that's what's causing the stereo output. Or, as a test, you can unplug the HDMI connection to the TV and see whether you start getting 5.1 audio.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

As far as I know, the 3806 is HDMI 1.1 and lacks lossless decoders. The optimal setting for the player would be PCM Multi-Ch.

However, when set to DTS Re-encode, the player should not be sending stereo unless the source material is actually stereo.

Sometimes the audio handshake with the TV forces the source device to downmix and send stereo instead of multichannel. I believe the Denon has a setting to disable the HDMI audio output, which would solve that problem if, in fact, that's what's causing the stereo output. Or, as a test, you can unplug the HDMI connection to the TV and see whether you start getting 5.1 audio.

So what's the correct way to fix this?
post #12 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, when set to DTS Re-encode, the player should not be sending stereo unless the source material is actually stereo. Sometimes the audio handshake with the TV forces the source device to downmix and send stereo instead of multichannel.

Hmm, since newyorkjets00 just got this Denon receiver .. possible the Auto Surround Mode is turned off.
post #13 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

There is a eq that is turned off I have read about but don't know the first thing about it.
post #14 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

EQ shouldn't have anything to do with what speakers are active.

What does the receiver display as incoming audio? 2.0? 5.1? I can see the Dolby Digital indicator is on, but it could be either.

post #15 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

So what's the correct way to fix this?
I thought my post spelled that out. frown.gif if the problem is the HDMI handshake with the TV, which is a stereo device, look for a setting on the Denon that tells it not to send audio out over the HDMI connection. It's probably called something like AMP instead of AMP + TV. Or, as a test, disconnect the HDMI cable to the TV altogether.

EQ has nothing to do with how many speakers are active.

Also, what disc are you playing that produces a DD stereo signal when the player is set to DTS Re-encode?
post #16 of 32 Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a eq that is turned off I have read about but don't know the first thing about it.

As Tulpa posted, EQ shouldn't have anything to do with what speakers are active. Auto Surround Mode should be found under Information or Playback (sorry can't remember).

Have you been able get any DD 5.1 from any other source?
post #17 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As Tulpa posted, EQ shouldn't have anything to do with what speakers are active. Auto Surround Mode should be found under Information or Playback (sorry can't remember).

Have you been able get any DD 5.1 from any other source?

Yes some blu rays will play dts all speakers light up... Maybe it's because the avr can't play that format like dts hd? And it goes to the next best thing?
post #18 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes some blu rays will play dts all speakers light up... Maybe it's because the avr can't play that format like dts hd? And it goes to the next best thing?

Next best thing would be the DTS 5.1 core (on a DTS-HD disc.) All speakers should light up. That should be automatic.

But again, the G.I. Joe disc is Dolby TrueHD. What happens if you bitstream that one instead of DTS re-encode?

post #19 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

In the HDMI handshake, the receiver will tell the player that it cannot handle the newer lossless codecs and, when set to bitstream, it will send the lossy codecs instead.
post #20 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In the HDMI handshake, the receiver will tell the player that it cannot handle the newer lossless codecs and, when set to bitstream, it will send the lossy codecs instead.

So set it to bitstream instead of dts, until I get a better avr?
post #21 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We were asking what happens if you try it. It may or may not solve the problem, but it may eliminate a few things.

post #22 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Bitstream or PCM multi. Obviously, DTS would be for DTS tracks. Since the movie in question does not offer said track, then just send the bitstream and let the AVR decide what should be done with it. In general the AVR will make the best choice for itself.
post #23 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

As posted earlier, the only way to get lossless with a Denon 3806 is with PCM Multi because that AVR cannot decode TrueHD or dts-MA. So, that would be the optimal player setting.

But, the immediate question is why the OP is getting stereo with some discs. Using bitstream or DTS Re-encode should not make any difference on that issue. But, it can't hurt to try it both ways.

Have you tried disabling the HDMI audio output from the AVR to the TV?
post #24 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, found this note in the LG BD330 player manual which may explain why its DD 2.0 (since Denon 3806 can't decode Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD).
If you substitute the word TV for Receiver it make kind of sense. So optimal setting for the BD player would be PCM Multi-Ch (but you haven't mention what happens when set to Bitstream yet).
Quote:
If the HDMI OUT jack is connected to your TV with High Speed HDMI Cable and Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby TrueHD is outputted from HDMI OUT jack is limited to "PCM 2ch".
post #25 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Denon AVR-3806

Top of page 34..."checking the input signal"...

And of course, try different sources, make sure all connections are secure, etc...
post #26 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bitstream worked fine watching a movie on Netflix, Dts all speakers lit up. I don't have g.i joe anymore to see why all the speakers weren't lit up.

Another dumb question I can't figure out how to switch between over the air tv and u ray? Making the macro turn the avr,tv and bluray...
post #27 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, found this note in the LG BD330 player manual which may explain why its DD 2.0 (since Denon 3806 can't decode Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD).
If you substitute the word TV for Receiver it make kind of sense. So optimal setting for the BD player would be PCM Multi-Ch (but you haven't mention what happens when set to Bitstream yet).
Quote:
If the HDMI OUT jack is connected to your TV with High Speed HDMI Cable and Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby TrueHD is outputted from HDMI OUT jack is limited to "PCM 2ch".
Yes. That's the point I've been trying to make. TVs are two channel devices. HDMI is designed to negotiate connections that are supported by both devices. So, when you connect a player to a TV, it doesn't matter what output setting you select on the player because the HDMI handshake will tell the player to decode and downmix to a stereo PCM output. Sometimes, the same thing happens when a receiver is placed between the player and the TV. If the AVR allows the TV to conduct the audio handshake, then the player is going to just send stereo.

Of course, if the TV is forcing a stereo output, that should happen with all multichannel sources, not just an occasional disc. Regardless, I am not aware of any settings on the Denon that would produce a stereo input when the source is actually multichannel. You can force a stereo output by selecting the stereo mode. But, the input from the source would still be multichannel and the AVR would do the downmix to stereo.
post #28 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well I need a new receiver then! I can't figure out this damn remote for nothing..
post #29 of 32 Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

All receivers work pretty much the same way in this area.
post #30 of 32 Old 08-27-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

In what way? If it has dts hd mode I wouldn't have to do all this other stuff right?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page