Control power to external amps by USB trigger on receiver or TV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently upgraded my AV Receiver to HDMI capable. In the last decade, I've replaced my receiver too many times to get from Dolby PLII to Dolby D, then from Dolby D to Dolby D Plus, and now from Dolby D Plus to Dolby TrueHD. Each time, not only replacing the "brains", but the amps as well.

I've finally come to the realization that the "brains" will need constant upgrading (seems 4k support is next), while the power amplification always stays the same. So, I've started investing in external power amps. This way it's much cheaper to replace just the "brains".

My current problem is that the receiver I have does not have any kind of amp power trigger, nor do the power amps themselves. All power amps are plugged into a Furman power conditioner with a manual on/off rocker switch.

I'd like to either find a pre-made or build my own power relay. Since my receiver does have a USB port on the back with +5v, I figured I could use that for the trigger. I just need to build a single gang electrical box that will have a standard electrical outlet for the furman unit to plug into and two wires coming out..one standard 110v plug to the wall, and a USB cable to plug into the port on the back of my receiver

The missing piece here is what kind of relay I need to put inside that will switch the 110v connection on/off by presence of the +5v from the USB on the receiver.

I figure this could already be made by some company, but some goggling didn't turn up anything (maybe I'm not using the correct search terms). I also figure that, if not, this sort of thing would come in handy for many readers of this forum if someone with a tad bit more EE experience could fill in the blanks here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well, looks like more Googling did turn up an answer.... :-)

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-USB-Power-Controled-Plug-Strip-With-Isolation/
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Or you could just buy one of these surge protectors:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/7-Outlet+Surge+Protector/5709672.p?id=1218686506521&skuId=5709672&st=Rocketfish&cp=1&lp=11

Plug your receiver in the Master outlet and the amps in the Master Controlled and when it senses you turned on your receiver it turns on the amps. There's other brands too. I have this one and use it for a pro amp that powers my subs and it works just fine.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
The missing piece here is what kind of relay I need to put inside that will switch the 110v connection on/off by presence of the +5v from the USB on the receiver.

Almost any SSR will accept a 5V trigger voltage.
Are you sure the USB power is switched with the receiver though?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That's the kind of product I was looking for. I didn't see it until I'd already ordered a relay though.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Almost any SSR will accept a 5V trigger voltage.
Are you sure the USB power is switched with the receiver though?

Yes, I'm sure. Thanks. I ordered an Opto22 model 120D25. It says it can be triggered from 3v-32v and can handle up to 25A. The 10A part in the link I found might be under rated for multiple power amps.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Combs View Post

Yes, I'm sure. Thanks. I ordered an Opto22 model 120D25. It says it can be triggered from 3v-32v and can handle up to 25A. The 10A part in the link I found might be under rated for multiple power amps.
Make sure you heatsink it well if you plan on putting large loads through it.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page