Speaker Configuration / Orientation - Dipole, Bipole, Monopole - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently purchase a pair of Polk FXiA6 di/bipole speakers. My original intent was to replace the Monitor 30 surround speakers. Well I've done it and it's a world of difference. I'm very pleased. Then it occurred to me maybe I can use the Monitor 30's and make this a 7.1 system.

My current setup is as follows:

Yamaha RX-Z7 reciever
Polk Monitor 70 fronts
Polk CS2 center
Polk FXiA6 surround or rear
Monitor 30's for .... ?

So here are the questions. I'm assuming there is more audio happening in side/surround channels than in rear channels for most films. Is that correct? I'm wondering I should use the FXiA6's as sides or rears and if I should use the Monitor 30's to fill the remaining side or rear channels. My home theater is in a relatively small space (in my apartment) AND my couch is against a wall, so I'm not sure where I could place side/surrround speakers other than the corners on either side of the couch. Is it worth even hooking up the monitor 30's as rears? I suppose I'd have to wall mount them above the couch and maybe aim them down. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you.

So I said, "Hey! Lama! How 'bout a little something, ya know, for the effort?"

Setup:
Yamaha RX-Z7
Polk Monitor 70s, CS2. FXiA6s, Monitor 30s
Samsung UN55C6800

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
If it sounds good now, don't screw with success.

Leave it alone.

In that room, almost anything you do will probably make it worse.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBrother View Post

I just recently purchase a pair of Polk FXiA6 di/bipole speakers. My original intent was to replace the Monitor 30 surround speakers. Well I've done it and it's a world of difference. I'm very pleased. Then it occurred to me maybe I can use the Monitor 30's and make this a 7.1 system.

Yamaha RX-Z7 reciever
Polk Monitor 70 fronts
Polk CS2 center
Monitor 30's for .... ?

So here are the questions. I'm assuming there is more audio happening in side/surround channels than in rear channels for most films. Is that correct? I'm wondering I should use the FXiA6's as sides or rears and if I should use the Monitor 30's to fill the remaining side or rear channels. My home theater is in a relatively small space (in my apartment) AND my couch is against a wall, so I'm not sure where I could place side/surrround speakers other than the corners on either side of the couch. Is it worth even hooking up the monitor 30's as rears? I suppose I'd have to wall mount them above the couch and maybe aim them down. Ideas? Suggestions?If your in a small room w/the couch against the wall 5.1 is plenty. Adding more speakers in that room will just muck up the sound. Also info to the surrounds just depends on the movie sound track. A dialogue based film won't give you much. The most important part of the set up are the front three speakers and the position of your sub. You may try slightly pointing your rears toward the back wall to diffuse the sound. I do that w/my rears and have achieved good results. The nice thing about this if you don't like it you turn them back again, takes 2 seconds.smile.gif

Thank you.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBrother View Post

Yamaha RX-Z7 reciever
Polk Monitor 70 fronts
Polk CS2 center
Monitor 30's for .... ?

So here are the questions. I'm assuming there is more audio happening in side/surround channels than in rear channels for most films. Is that correct? I'm wondering I should use the FXiA6's as sides or rears and if I should use the Monitor 30's to fill the remaining side or rear channels. My home theater is in a relatively small space (in my apartment) AND my couch is against a wall, so I'm not sure where I could place side/surrround speakers other than the corners on either side of the couch. Is it worth even hooking up the monitor 30's as rears? I suppose I'd have to wall mount them above the couch and maybe aim them down. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you.
If your seating is against the back wall, and you have no space *behind* you to mount the rear speakers, don't bother with rear speakers. If the "rears" aren't in the rear, they'll be of no benefit, and will likely be more detrimental than beneficial.

OTOH, if you can move your seating forward and create some space behind the listening position, rears could be used and the monopole Monitor 30's would work fine in those positions. If you do this, be sure to move the side surrounds forward so they are at 90 to 110 degress of the LP:

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 5 Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Is 6-12 inches off the back wall enough to make these work, pretty much the same setup as Soulbrother.

Thanks

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat