$8000 to spend on fraternity house - what would you do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We've got a 20 x 35 x 12 ft room we are looking to upgrade it with new equipment. Our budget is about $8000, maybe a little more. We're looking for a setup to play electronic dance music, house, and rap mainly. And I think we can afford to get a system that still sounds great when you're sober!

So the question is, what would you do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Um, I would probably spend the $8000 on beer...But you ought to be able to put together a killer system on that budget.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Sign some more souvenirs, then you can have both a great system and lots of beer!
Seriously, I would look at some Cerwin-Vegas, and a good AVR with room correction and you will be set. A couple of big subs to take care of the thump, and you will be in audio nirvana!
post #4 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfootball View Post

We've got a 20 x 35 x 12 ft room we are looking to upgrade it with new equipment. Our budget is about $8000, maybe a little more. We're looking for a setup to play electronic dance music, house, and rap mainly. And I think we can afford to get a system that still sounds great when you're sober!

Thanks!

What is wrong with your old equipment?
How does it not meet your needs?

List the items you have.

Are you looking for a turnkey system, a DIY system, or?

Post a picture of your room.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 258
The perfect thing for that application is the JBL PRX 735 pro speaker systems. They will light up that room and sound fantastic. They are designed for the wide dispersion of the sound that you need; most hi-fi home speakers have a dispersion pattern that is too narrow for your setup.

They have three 500-watt amplifiers built into each speaker enclosure, so all you need to add is a preamp to drive them and a CD player or other source. One amplifier drives the bass, one the midrange driver, and the third drives the HF driver. Each has a gain control.

Sweetwater has them for $1299 each, which is well under the list price.

They have all the power that room can use, and with their 15-inch woofers and power you will have bass like you never heard before.

Each speaker also has gain controls which let you adjust the gain for the midrange and High-frequency amplifiers to balance the sound levels to suit the room.

I would go with a Marantz CD 6004 CD player ($500) and a NAD C165BEE preamp ($1000). That CD player has a USB input, so you can connect any Ipod or laptop computer to it and play the music stored on those units.

Two of those speakers and that preamp and CD player is only a bit over $4000.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Colm, haha yeah we're trying to avoid doing that.

jdcrox, ok, Cerwin Vega..... what other names should I look for when shopping for speakers, receivers, etc.? Any to avoid? And room correction, how is that done?

mtbdudex, as far as the other equipment.... I'm not sure what we had but there definitely isn't anything worth keeping. We had a party that got a *bit* out of hand..... rolleyes.gif

Anyways, turnkey vs DIY.... I'm not even sure what you mean by that. What would each entail? (are you talking about building those so called "bass bins?")

commsysman, thanks for your reply, I'm checking those out right now... What if we got four of those speakers, would that be overkill or **** things up acoustically?

Thanks for your replies!

One more question. Where is the best place to put something like a JBL 735? On the ground, on a stand, or do you think we could get away with hanging it from the ceiling and still get good bass? The higher up it is the less likely it will end up flooded with beer or in pieces.... rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 17 Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked: 32
Check out http://www.guitarcenter.com for deals. They always have some good trade in's and good sales all the time on equipment. $8,000.00 is a lot of money just for the speakers and amps. If you are looking at lighting, mixer board, computer for digital mixing, you would still have money left over. Also it helps to know how many people that you intend to have in the room at any given time, and also are you using this equipment for say when watching sports, besides just playing music, when not doing a Friday or Saturday night spin.

Also, are you planing on having DJ spin competitions with this setup, or just play off stored media on a NAS drive, or maybe give the option of plugging in say iOS or Android devices, running say a Digital DJ or mixer app. As for lighting, how much of the $8,000.00 budget are you looking at spending on lighting also, and then also covering equipment repairs if damaged, same for cables that may need to be replaced or repaired.

If I am figuring it correctly, you are looking at the most of 150-160 people max, excluding the space for the DJ and bar area in that room.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

You are talking a system for use at dances, right?

You probably want to set up a high quality DJ-style system. While most audiophiles turn their nose up at this grade of equipment, if you pick and choose carefully, you can get pretty close to audiophile sound quality.

You need:

(1) A DJ-grade CD player so you can handle physical CDs
(2) A DJ-grade digital controller for digital music files
(3) A computer for the digital controller to use for storage and processing
(4) A DJ-grade turntable, tone arm and cartridge
(5) A microphone for the DJ's patter
(6) A DJ mixer
(7) A subwoofer crossover and equalizer for the live sound gear
(8) Several power amps
(9) One or more live sound grade subwoofers
(10) Several pair of high quality live sound grade speakers

Items 1-6 relate to producing the music for dancing
Items 7-10 relate to reproducing the music and are the most critical for sound quality

Depending on what your goals are for loudness, your budget may be on the low side.

Obviously designing this system will take some work, and you may be expecting a lot to panhandle it for free on an audiophile conference.

You also need to budget for EFX lighting for the DJ.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

jdcrox, ok, Cerwin Vega..... what other names should I look for when shopping for speakers, receivers, etc.? Any to avoid? And room correction, how is that done?

mtbdudex, as far as the other equipment.... I'm not sure what we had but there definitely isn't anything worth keeping. We had a party that got a *bit* out of hand..... rolleyes.gif

Anyways, turnkey vs DIY.... I'm not even sure what you mean by that. What would each entail? (are you talking about building those so called "bass bins?")

commsysman, thanks for your reply, I'm checking those out right now... What if we got four of those speakers, would that be overkill or **** things up acoustically?

Thanks for your replies!

One more question. Where is the best place to put something like a JBL 735? On the ground, on a stand, or do you think we could get away with hanging it from the ceiling and still get good bass? The higher up it is the less likely it will end up flooded with beer or in pieces.... rolleyes.gif

Turnkey = you pay someone to design, install, and tweak the system to suit your needs.
DIY = you do all the work yourself, budget, plan, buy, install tweak (DIY does not always mean "make own stuff", sometimes yes it also involves that)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnkey

SO you had a party that "got a *bit* out of hand".....what got destroyed and what needs to be replaced?
Now you've got me curious, post a picture of your frat home room and its current gear, destroyed and still working.
I asked you to list what you had in earlier post.

You got some decisions to make.

Suggestions:
Read some of the post's at Gearslutz, that forum is definitely better suited for "Live Sound", they have a sub forum called "Live sound" you might find intresting, http://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/

Check out Parts Express Pro Audio area, to get a feel what replacement items you are lookign for and their cost, spec, etc.
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/pro-audio/6

Instead of telling you "what to do - spend $xx on this, $yy on that", I'm showing you "get educated on what you need, make informed choices" - it's your $$$.

Obviously if your equipment got damaged/destroyed by its location - floor level, repalcing it with new equipment in same location seems not so wise, up high and angled towards the crowd, like so many bar venues do just to avoid that issue - and distribute the sound among everyone.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

jdcrox, ok, Cerwin Vega..... what other names should I look for when shopping for speakers, receivers, etc.? Any to avoid?

The ones you just listed. Seriously. Also Nady, Gemini, Pyle & Pyle Pro, Gem Sound, Technical Pro, American Audio, Bose

Brands to take seriously:

JBL (pro), EV, Pioneer (live sound line), QSC, Mackie, EAW, Yorkville

Behringer electronics, but in DJ/live sound land the high ground belongs to brands like Yamaha (pro), Denon, Rane, etc.
Quote:
And room correction, how is that done?

Strictly speaking room correction is pretty close to mission impossible, but most live sound systems have an 31 band graphic or parametric equalizer to help with system integration, matching up speakers, etc.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Honestly not sure how much these cost but bar none the best club sound system I have heard installed is the one used in both Space and Privilege in Ibiza: http://www.funktion-one.com/

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Honestly not sure how much these cost but bar none the best club sound system I have heard installed is the one used in both Space and Privilege in Ibiza: http://www.funktion-one.com/
Sound Investment is the U.S. distributor, but no prices listed on their site. http://www.soundinvestmentav.com/funktion-one An old thread from 2008 with a private seller pricing http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=57599.0
post #13 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Thanks!

Take the money and run? biggrin.gif

OK, I'd probably get a decent AVR with USB/ipod input or dock and some powered pro speakers a.la. Mackie, Yamaha, etc. Put them on good stands or hang them, not on the floor. Actually, stands will eventually get knocked over; hang them. And put the AVR behind a wall or in a closet (with ventilation). You'll spend maybe $2k - $4k; bank the rest for when somebody finds the AVR and destroys it and/or the speakers. They will find a way...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #14 of 17 Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Systems on that scale are the product of first class equipment, design, installation, setup and operation. On an AV forum like this we don't control enough of the end product to be able to guarantee much of anything, except to steer people away from the ditches.
kkirsche likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

commsysman, gregzoll, arnyk, and mtbdudex thank you for your advice. After looking around here a bit more, I think I'll take mtbdudex's advice and move on over to a more appropriate forum. Thank you for the recommendation and thanks to everyone for giving me a starting point.

As for pictures, I don't have any, everything is cleaned up now. Sorry!

Thanks again!
post #16 of 17 Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Two words :

Integrated keg-orators

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #17 of 17 Old 09-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:

commsysman, gregzoll, arnyk, and mtbdudex thank you for your advice. After looking around here a bit more, I think I'll take mtbdudex's advice and move on over to a more appropriate forum. Thank you for the recommendation and thanks to everyone for giving me a starting point.

As for pictures, I don't have any, everything is cleaned up now. Sorry!

Thanks again!
When I figured up the price on two folded Subs, two speakers, four amps, two 15 channel EQ's, and a Pioneer Digital DJ board, I still only hit around $4600. Those would be the basics for the system, due to I am guessing it is mostly music, very little live bands, which if you had a live band, they are going to bring their own equipment to begin with.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat