I am looking for a headset/lapel mic for "webinar" video speaking. Low profile, tan, xlr/usb... not sure how or what to do. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am needing to d a video webinar to speak at a conference. So I am trying to find some sort of low profile lapel or headset mic. Since I'll be projected huge on a screen, I want something that is a little more subtle than a Logitech gaming headset.

I've been looking around Amazon and I see a few cheap ones, and a few expensive Shure ones, but they are all either 1/8in jacks or XLR. I have no experience with using those with a USB adapter, or if it is even possible. I see that there are XLR to USB adapters, but I have no idea if the mics I am looking at need power or anything. I also wanted to try and get some sort of in-ear monitor with it, but again, I don't have experience with what that takes or if it will work with just an iMac. The Logitech headset is USB, but way to large. If I get a low profile mic, and then a low profile in ear monitor, I don't have any idea what to hook them to, a 2 channel XLR box? And then that plugs into USB or the mic/headphone port on the computer?

This is a lot harder to find than I thought it would be. Seems like lots of people would do video speaking and need a low profile mic setup. Is there anyone here with experience that could maybe point me in a direction so this isn't a terrible experience for the audience? They are 9000 miles away =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. First question is this: Is there a professional audio visual company handling the sound/video/internet system? If so, they need to be you first contact as they will be able to tell you what inputs etc they have available and chances are excellent they already have the microphones etc. that you need.

There are 2 totally separate systems involved. First is the microphone and its associated wireless transmitter. The most common microphone used today for this purpose is called the Countryman.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E6OW5T2SL/

This is just the microphone and does NOT include the transmitter that you wear or the receiver that connects to the sound system and webinar equipment.

The second is the wireless in-ear monitor system. With that, you wear a receiver (belt clip mount) and the signal is fed to your receiver via a transmitter connected to the sound system. I question the need for a in-ear monitor. There is usually very little need for that. When that is used in a live scenario of webinar sessions, it is usually used so the moderator/ producer/ technical director can talk to you without the audience hearing. Sort of like a private PA system just for you.

In any event, the AV company handling all the technical aspects is the one to talk to.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandempsey View Post

I am needing to d a video webinar to speak at a conference. So I am trying to find some sort of low profile lapel or headset mic. Since I'll be projected huge on a screen, I want something that is a little more subtle than a Logitech gaming headset.

I've been looking around Amazon and I see a few cheap ones, and a few expensive Shure ones, but they are all either 1/8in jacks or XLR. I have no experience with using those with a USB adapter, or if it is even possible.

XLR -> USB converters are both possible and inexpensive and good.

Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Icicle-Converter-Preamp/dp/B001EW5YQS

As far as inconspicuous head worn microphones go, probably the most widely used professionial model is the Countryman E6. It runs about $300 in pro audio stores such as Full Compass.

There are good E6 clones for around $100 and cheap ones for $29.95 and up. You want an omnidirectional capsule so that you won't be cursed with popping.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Liked: 14
Like they've stated above, the Countryman E6 Wireless XLR Mic seem to be the industry standard when it comes to low profile ear sets. They are the mics used in productions and events that want a mic that is very subtle. If you want to give them a try you can always rent them for a bit to get a better understanding on what you need for your setup. Look Here: http://aarental.com/product/countryman-wireless-mic/ For an In-Ear Monitor there is really nothing more practical then some ear buds which are small and come in clear-colored options. Try the Alesis MULTIMIX 4 channel USB mixer as your audio interface. Let me know how your setup goes.

Ben
Lead Tech, AA Rental
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The AV company handling the set-up needs to be a major part of any selection of mics and in-ear monitors. They quite likely already have them in inventory and if not, they need to know what connections and levels may be required.

As I said, FIRST step is direct contact between the speaker and or show coordinator and the AV supplier.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page