Sight bias doesn't end at just speakers with regard to music... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Check this out. It says that people judge the quality of live music competitions by the sight of the musicians, not the sound. This is ridiculous. Not the article, but our species.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Shady,
Quote:
This is ridiculous. Not the article, but our species.
Having had to deal with the species for most of my life, yes, we can be pretty ridiculous. But I'm not sure what I can do about it.

This quote sums it up: ". . . In this case, it suggests that the visual trumps the audio, even in a setting where audio information should matter much more.” It is the same conclusion you can draw from that "Ba verses Fa" video, where your eye overruled your ears (I can't find the link right now).

This is why audio tests need to be blind - even the most golden ears are no match for lead eyes.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
When we are ruled by our biases this badly, it's almost enough to make you want to throw your hands up and just go with it. Next speaker I make, performance won't be a consideration at all. It's just going to be the biggest, craziest, flashiest cabinet I can slap together with three 18" woofers, six 10" mids, and 10 tweeters, and it will sound awesome because it LOOKS awesome.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Shady,
Quote:
. . . Next speaker I make, performance won't be a consideration at all. It's just going to be the biggest, craziest, flashiest cabinet I can slap together with three 18" woofers, six 10" mids, and 10 tweeters, and it will sound awesome because it LOOKS awesome.
I can save you some time and money - Build a large, esthetically-shaped cabinet, with a big hole in the front and cover the front with a nice-looking cloth. Then buy an inexpensive Polk speaker and hide it inside.

If you then wanted to build them professionally, start espousing on the sonic benefits of "nested cabinets".
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Check this out. It says that people judge the quality of live music competitions by the sight of the musicians, not the sound. This is ridiculous. Not the article, but our species.

The counterpoint I see is that sighted bias still works out in a great many situations For example running from an animal that is larger and toothier than us is usually a good strategy. Sorry about elephants! ;-) Most of the situations where sighted bias doesn't work seem to me to relate to the modern world.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Shady,
Quote:
. . . Next speaker I make, performance won't be a consideration at all. It's just going to be the biggest, craziest, flashiest cabinet I can slap together with three 18" woofers, six 10" mids, and 10 tweeters, and it will sound awesome because it LOOKS awesome.
I can save you some time and money - Build a large, esthetically-shaped cabinet, with a big hole in the front and cover the front with a nice-looking cloth. Then buy an inexpensive Polk speaker and hide it inside.

If you then wanted to build them professionally, start espousing on the sonic benefits of "nested cabinets".

I have a friend that pretty much did this. The hidden speakers are Behringer Truths. The two dual 15" ultra long stroke subwoofers in the front of the room are real but the enclosures are of minimal size- they barely cover the drivers.. The sound is wonderful. But the small phsyical size of the subwoofers extracts a price in efficiency and he had to drop a 30 amp circuit for the power amp farm in the basement.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page