I wonder if general modern ears can even hear stereo anymore? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw a billboard the other day for an AM oldies station. I don't get it. (remember how good the channel separation was in some older tracks?)
I've been to two different out-door concerts lately. One, it sounded like the the singer was singing out of a box. The other concert, the bass was up so high, you could hear the cones on the woofers stretching, but not quite making it. People today just put up with terrible sound. I try to enjoy it, like everybody else, but to me, it just annoys me to death. But let me get to the real point. This younger generation. I would like to see a test done. Almost like they do at the doctors office, when they test your ears for frequencies. But I would like to see, if younger people could actually pick out whether a piece of music is recorded in stereo or not. It would be fascinating to test different 15 years olds, and then 25 year olds, 35 year olds, older...?. With samples that would go back and forth from mono to stereo. (multi-channel?) It is fascinating how much people just don't care about quality of sound anymore. I'm willing to venture a guess, that at a certain percentage point. Some people will not notice the stereo bridge. Maybe if some sounds are totally in one speaker. (than again, they may not even get it, or know what that is.)

You go to the theater and they don't spend the money on sound quality, like they did... it sounds so much better if you have the -hook-up- at home. They don't have to, because the people don't care. People will buy a huge HDTV, and use the crappy junk speakers it came with. Of course we are living with the ear-bud generation. (Hello, hello? What did you say?) Or if you get anywhere near the speakers at those concerts, than your ears won't stay very good long either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Audio is always treated as secondary for home theater and not synchronous. When is the last time you seen a commercial for speakers? Now, when was the last time you seen a commercial for a TV?
post #3 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

You go to the theater and they don't spend the money on sound quality, like they did... it sounds so much better if you have the -hook-up- at home. They don't have to, because the people don't care. People will buy a huge HDTV, and use the crappy junk speakers it came with. Of course we are living with the ear-bud generation. (Hello, hello? What did you say?) Or if you get anywhere near the speakers at those concerts, than your ears won't stay very good long either.

You apparently live in a sonically depressed area. The sound quality in first rate movie theatres around here is actually quite good, and far better than it was at any time in the last 60 years.

My daughter (age 33) is I think fairly typical of people her age and has equipped her TV with a middle-line Sony sound bar. While sound bars are not my cup of tea and her system vastly underperforms mine for sound and picture, they represent a vast improvement over the sound in typical TVs.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
It is fascinating how much people just don't care about quality of sound anymore.

...or grammar.
Larry Geller likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 702
It might be fair to say that people like us on this forum tend to be anachronisms. Sound quality has declined because of the internet and mobile devices. Once people get accustomed to listening to compressed music files downloaded from the internet and played on a smart phone, their attitude toward sound quality diminishes. The sound is good enough. And, in fact, it is good enough if all you care about is the content of music. Those of us who care about the content of the music and the quality of the sound we hear are a dying breed. That's why the audio industry is in such financial trouble. In the old days we would buy a CD or vinyl record and play it through a system that had woofers. Today, a smart phone and earbuds are way, way more common. I don't see that changing either.
robertkjr3d likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

It might be fair to say that people like us on this forum tend to be anachronisms. Sound quality has declined because of the internet and mobile devices. Once people get accustomed to listening to compressed music files downloaded from the internet and played on a smart phone, their attitude toward sound quality diminishes. The sound is good enough. And, in fact, it is good enough if all you care about is the content of music. Those of us who care about the content of the music and the quality of the sound we hear are a dying breed. That's why the audio industry is in such financial trouble. In the old days we would buy a CD or vinyl record and play it through a system that had woofers. Today, a smart phone and earbuds are way, way more common. I don't see that changing either.

That's it, exactly. And to site Brandon's comment... What do they have commercials for? Watching a movie on your phone or tablet. Which I think is unconscionable. Still what I was actually getting at here was a test. I would like to see a College do a test on whether people in this day an age, can actually figure out what they are listening to. Here is something else to throw into the mix: To try different BPS rates too. In the middle of a piece of music, it would switch between 32, 64, 128, to 256. See if the person would even notice.

Many of us may use Pandora which is at 64bps. I hooked up another person's phone playing Groove Shark to my car's sound system. One song was playing, with really bad sound quality. (note: Groove Shark's MP3s can come from any source, unlike Pandora..) Then the next song came on. I told the younger girl, who owned the phone 'This song has a lot better sound quality'. Naturally she responded: "oh I didn't notice'. Illustrating exactly what I'm speaking about.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Content is most important.

I learned to enjoy music a lot more when I focused less on the quality of presentation (within reason)

That doesn't mean I don't strive for the best reproduction I can obtain for myself (within my budget)

Anyway back to OP, most kids today on headphone will be able to tell if stereo is changed to mono or one channel drops out. wink.gif
CruelInventions likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post

Content is most important.

Anyway back to OP, most kids today on headphone will be able to tell if stereo is changed to mono or one channel drops out. wink.gif

hmm.. You see, perhaps, if one speakers was completely out, yes, but this is partially what I'm talking about. As I mentioned above, what if they were listening to only 32kbps music, would they notice? Would they enjoy their favorite song in mono? I find, that more and more kids (and even some grown ups. Will sit in front of something, and not even realize that one of the speakers is not even running. I don't know how many times I'll be over to someone's house, and I've fixed their stuff. Have you found that people don't know how to plug the DVD wires into the TV? LOL. So they get one channel. They don't even care or notice. I'll fix it, and they'll go, (oh thanx.)
post #9 of 18 Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Seriously... why do you care? If "they" are happy with the sound, it should have no bearing on your listening preferences or skills. Nor will you be able to educate and/or "convert" a vast majority of those that seek convenience and cost over "quality".
post #10 of 18 Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Seriously... why do you care? If "they" are happy with the sound, it should have no bearing on your listening preferences or skills. Nor will you be able to educate and/or "convert" a vast majority of those that seek convenience and cost over "quality".
Tis true, but it would make for an interesting education, and the state of the public. A nice 'Did you know... Yahoo article'
post #11 of 18 Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I'm not the only one who thought of this:

http://evolver.fm/2012/01/05/kids-might-actually-care-about-sound-quality/
post #12 of 18 Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
People, adults and kids, have been listening to crappy quality audio without concern for many decades. If anything I suspect the average (but still poor) quality has improved over those decades. An basic earbud mp3 system with 128kps+ is not arguably worse than a basic walkman with included headphones playing a tape copied from a friend who made compilation from tunes copied from the radio. A cheap low end all in one stereo of today can play back with better fidelity that similar from years ago. Just as it was 15yrs ago rental cars of today come with the most ridiculous previous renter EQ/tone settings.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think FMW nailed it in his post. I'd just like to add that today's current trend of mastering popular music hasn't helped things at all. The average Joe is even less determined to spend money on a quality stereo when much of the music he's listening to is squashed anyway.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post

People, adults and kids, have been listening to crappy quality audio without concern for many decades.

For example, me. When I was a boy AM radio was the mainstream broadcast method. FM existed but hardly anybody actually listened to it. By the time I was at the university, FM had become mainstream.

The jump start for home audio was IME the Vietnam war. The Japanese took over the PXs and quality audio (of a sort - the Japanese speakers were generally pretty grim) found its way into millions of homes.
Quote:
If anything I suspect the average (but still poor) quality has improved over those decades.

You said a mouthful. Sound quality has continued to improve especially when price performance is considered.
Quote:
An basic earbud mp3 system with 128kps+ is not arguably worse than a basic walkman with included headphones playing a tape copied from a friend who made compilation from tunes copied from the radio.

The 128 kb MP3 is probably better sounding than even the best cassette tape.

Quote:
A cheap low end all in one stereo of today can play back with better fidelity that similar from years ago. Just as it was 15yrs ago rental cars of today come with the most ridiculous previous renter EQ/tone settings.

Sansa Clip -> $40 or less
Sony in-ears -> $40 or less

Unbelievably good sound for the size and price. Easily better sounding than a room full SOTA audio gear in 1980.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A cheap low end all in one stereo of today can play back with better fidelity that similar from years ago. Just as it was 15yrs ago rental cars of today come with the most ridiculous previous renter EQ/tone settings.
Arny - I agree with your post. But here I think he was referring to what happens when you jump into another persons car, or a rental car. And you pop in a CD, or turn on the radio, and you go 'sheesh: The Sound is all muffled, or all Bass... uggh.' The last person doesn't pay attention, but you actually care.

btw... I fell in love with audio back in the early 80s with a high-end dual tape-deck boom box. It had all the bells and whistles, you can't find those anymore. You know the kind, that had more inputs and outputs, than a receiver does today. It sounded really amazing too. I would listen to that thing for hours of course, with my head in the middle of it.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A few years ago I was listening to FM radio and a song was playing that I wasn't at all familiar with. When the song ended the DJ said "Ok, well that was garbage" . I was shocked. I thought that he was being overly critical even though it wasn't like first hearing the Beatles, it was ok. I later found out the name of the group was...Garbage.
robertkjr3d and gnk1 like this.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
CNN recently published an article titled "The death of the home stereo system" that I found interesting.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/tech/innovation/death-stereo-system/

I bought a new AVR several months ago, not sure what that says about me in relation to the above article. smile.gif
post #18 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Sound quality has continued to improve especially when price performance is considered.
In 1978, I spent $500 on a system consisting of a 25wpc receiver, cassette deck, and no-name speakers. Today, you could buy a 100wpc receiver, a DVD player, and a much cleaner pair of speakers for less than that. You could toss in a basic sub for not much more, and have cleaner, deeper bass than I ever dreamed possible back then.

And that's not even considering inflation. The BLS tells me that $500 in 1978 is the equivalent of about $1800 today. That'll buy you a more-than-listenable 5.1 system with room correction.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page