Acoustic traps, something new. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone thought about using modified plastic or wire mesh baskets to hold the various materials?
I have been researching DIY bass traps all day and have noticed the trend is boring rectangle and squares.

That's when I thought why doesn't anyone make these in various shapes?
Something like "This" could have its bottom cut out leaving a small lip to hold in the 703, 1280, rockwool, etc. and be easily wrapped in cloth and hung with just about any method.
Being a wire frame design it also opens up the sides for more surface area.

I started looking and there is literally hundreds of various shaped and depth plastic and metal wire baskets available to use and they are Very cheap. The link above gets you 36 of them for under 50$

What do you guys think, could something like this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Sure, it's all been done.

It's often recommended to use bird netting for fluffy fiberglass bass traps, as they'll compress if not supported every so often. And metal mesh is often used to line or face DIY treatment panels.

Go for it and experiment. I've successfully stretched aircraft cable across the ceiling, sidewall to sidewall, between my mains and LP. This to hold up rigid, thick, OC703 panels. I stair stepped them being mindful of incidence angle and grazing ineffectiveness. One can employ a variety of sidewall treatment strategies, redirection, diffusion/scattering, absorption, to achieve a certain effect. However, IMO, the ceiling, between mains and LP, is an area whereby massive absorption is quite beneficial, with few if any negatives regardless of acoustic treatment model.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
First - welcome to AVS forum!
Always neat to see some innovative bass trap method, I'd like to see your progress on them here, with picts.

For the big/deep bass traps just remember pink fluffy is your best performance and cost value.
I found that out AFTER I used OC705 and other "too dense" material for my bass traps in 2010/2011.
(there are threads where we discuss the optimal material for thickness / depth of bass trap, based on gas flow resistivity)

As sharing/help, here is my moveable bass trap concept.
Moveable Rear Lower with OC705
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1312693/diy-construction-methods-of-hang-able-acoustic-panels-not-fixed-frames/30#post_19993984

Rear upper:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1312693/diy-construction-methods-of-hang-able-acoustic-panels-not-fixed-frames/60#post_20085872
What they look like installed:
_MG_5464.jpg

Moveable rear with Pink Fluffy
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1312693/diy-construction-methods-of-hang-able-acoustic-panels-not-fixed-frames/120#post_22131618
post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdaar View Post

Anyone thought about using modified plastic or wire mesh baskets to hold the various materials?
I have been researching DIY bass traps all day and have noticed the trend is boring rectangle and squares.

That's when I thought why doesn't anyone make these in various shapes?
Something like "This" could have its bottom cut out leaving a small lip to hold in the 703, 1280, rockwool, etc. and be easily wrapped in cloth and hung with just about any method.
Being a wire frame design it also opens up the sides for more surface area.

I started looking and there is literally hundreds of various shaped and depth plastic and metal wire baskets available to use and they are Very cheap. The link above gets you 36 of them for under 50$

What do you guys think, could something like this work?

I've seen bass traps that used low density fluffy insulation held in place or compressed by very coarse wire, plastic or cord mesh. I've seen this stuff used for low density fiber insulation stuffed into speaker ports. This stuff is permeable enough that it has no acoustical significance as long as it does not resonate or rattle.

The various medium and high density fiber products (703, 705 etc.) are generally considered to be self-supporting.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 24
When I built my traps I cut 2- 12" sono tubes in half. Used 1x4 lumber to separate them so they were 26" apart.
This allowed 4 pcs of 6" thick safe and sound to be stood upright with just a little compression on the sides
inside the half tubes. Covered with black speaker fabric, and placed in a corner, there is a void behind them
and the corner that I fill with additional fiberglass. They are a nice alternative to the square boxes, or triangle
pieces.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Perry, that is a very nice looking room..!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Perry, that is a very nice looking room..!

Thank you kiwi.
Its kind of a testament to Diy.
Everything in that room...even the room itself, is DIY.
It was at one time a single attached garage.
Exceptions are the chair and electronics...oh, and the Mandolin...smile.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page