Will this work good for the front of 5.1 surround? (picture attached) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please see my attached picture(s). Since dimensions aren't shown:

The wall is 10 ft high.

The screen is a zero edge black diamond 1.4 122.5" across, 52" tall. The bottom of the screen will be high enough to clear the speakers, roughly 36" off the carpet.

The left and right channel speakers would be on short stands approx 18" of the carpet. They are 15" tall Polk RTIA3 speakers. The speakers will be approximately 10 feet apart from center to center.

The viewers will be seated approximately 15-16 feet away from the screen.

The center channel (Polk CSI5) will be 20" off the carpet on a media cabinet.

I could place the front left and right speakers farther apart up on the wall (already speaker wire there from previous owner) and angle them down somewhat but then I felt like I would need to also hang the center channel speaker from the ceiling (angled down) (certainly doable as this is what I did in my last home) to keep them all more or less in line.

The one thing I can't do with this big of screen is place the left and right speakers to the side of the screen. They have to go under it constrained in separation by the built in and entry way or I can place them farther apart if put high on the wall (if that would be better). Under the screen I can have them aimed pretty well toward ear level. Hanging off the wall above the screen and further out I could aim them but I don't know if it would be as accurate for near ear level.

Which way should I do it?

I could also get a smaller screen and use two RTI12 I already have to the side of the screen but I wanted the biggest screen I could use in a 2.35 format for use with a Panasonic AE8000U projector. These RTI12 speakers would be place approximately 10 feet apart because I cant get any more room as you can see in the picture due to a built shelf that must remain and the entry way on the other side.

Thanks for your help!

Rob front set up.jpg 82k .jpg file

the room.JPG 912k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front set up.jpg (82.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg the room.JPG (912.2 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I would definitely do it closer to ear level, with the centre speaker right under the screen rather than closer to the ceiling. Keep the L/R speakers like you have them in the drawing, just move the centre speaker up a bit to be in line with the L/R speakers. When sounds pan across the front soundstage, they'll move in a straight line rather than up-down-up.

Sanjay
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I would definitely do it closer to ear level, with the centre speaker right under the screen rather than closer to the ceiling.

Agreed. That's how my room is set up (photo below) and it works very well. Assuming you plan to add at least some acoustic treatment at the reflection points, that will further minimize hearing the sound seem to come from below the screen.

--Ethan

cust_ht7a.jpg

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book