Assistance with awkward room PLZ Pix Attached - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I bought some new speakers as my current set up ( JBL Cenima 500) just can’t fill my room when it comes to music. I want to be able to get lost in the highs and feel all the bass. I’m pushing the cinema 500 with an Onkyo 616 reciver. The new speakers I have already purchased are two JBL Studio 180 and one Studio 120. So I’m looking to move my speakers around and upgrade. I’m rolling around some different layout options in my head and wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think would sound the best, so I’m in need a bit of advice. The speakers highlighted in blue would be the new ones. The speakers highlighted in green are my current front left and right and I would move them to front highs in that layout. I know the 180 wont sound the best in the corner but as you can see from the jpeg below I don’t have much choice if I want them in front. Below you can find a picture of my preferred layout. If you have or download Google sketchup (this program is so much fun) I can email a file for full detail and measurements. I have read so much on this forum and gotten so much good information on the optical way to set up a 5.1 or 7.1 system but my room layout is not conducive for the optical set up. That’s what leads me here seeking advice form the pros. Check out my room layout and let me know how you would place these additions and why. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 PM

I am not well versed in speaker makes and models, so I won't reply regarding your speakers or what you are thinking about getting.

I do have an thought about your room layout, however. I have a small room kind of like yours (a tad smaller, actually) and the layout of the speakers can make a HUGE difference in the sound you can put in the space. Please don't take this badly, but there is little hope of getting a lot of solid bass in the size room you have.

First off, the room is (although the graphic you included doesn't show all the dimensions) basically a square, with the sub in the corner... ugh. I tried this and had awful coupling. The corners were hot as hell with bass and the middle was hollow. It was a mess. I don't have the choice of the middle of one wall, which would have been preferable, so I chose away from a wall in front of the rack... ugh but better than the corner. You might need corner bass traps to help, but no matter, the square shape is killing your bass and there is little or not much you can do except find the sub a home away from a corner and treat the space acoustically. I was told to put the sub in my chair and then play music and walk around the room until the sub sounded the best; then trade places... put the sub where you were standing and go sit... enjoy! It is a starting point.

Like you, I have my gear on a wall with openings. I am not pleased with the soundstage, as it is collapsed on one side (short side) and open on the other. Also, it looks like the configuration of your main speakers is narrower than would be optimum. No matter what, the speakers in the corners is not good...

The thing that jumps out at me is that you might consider turning the furniture 90 degrees counter clockwise. THEN, you would have a longer wall space to widen your mains and a you could put the sub in the middle of the wall where the couch is now.

I would rethink toward moving the speakers to the longer wall space and the sub to a middle wall spot.

It is a lot of furniture and gear for such a small room... I know how this goes! It is not easy... I have messed with my room for forever and it's still a mess... I can't wait to move so that I can get a larger space for my gear...

I hope that I have jogged some thoughts for you and you can find a way to make it all work. Anyway, good luck!

"Life is a minestrone..." - 10cc
post #3 of 4 Old 09-14-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Phil. I will keep that in mind. What are your thoughts on replacing the rear surrounds with the floor standing speakers and just playing my tunes on all Chanel? That would prevent me from having to rewire the whole thing. Below are some links to the speakers I just bought. The room is 16x16x12 on the right with a vaulted celling that raises to 24. There is a closed wall behind the couch and the far left wall is open

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-180/STUDIO%20180_JBL_US

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-120C/STUDIO%20120C_JBL_US

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR616&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 11
I agree with Phil. Think about moving your TV and front stage to the longer wall opposite the windows (oops I think this is the open wall?). If so, maybe opposite then. I think if you are thinking of playing your music in "all channel" you need to have the same type of speakers (at least the same brand). I'm no pro, but it seems like this would be the best/cheapest way of enhancing the sound in your room.

Like Phil said. Place the sub in your main listening position and crawl around the room till you find the best/tightest bass. Place your sub there and enjoy.

Good Luck!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page