AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio theory, Setup and Chat (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   Towers as surrounds! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1490586-towers-surrounds.html)

Aarghon 09-14-2013 07:13 AM

Hello people!

As the title implies, my surround speakers are towers... ( had a ridiculous deal on towers so hehe!)

I've read a lot of opposite opinions on that.. Some say they should be ear level, like the fronts, and some say they should be 2 feet higher than the fronts....

Well since towers tweeters fire at ear level, should I raise them a little in the back? Pretty confused by that... to me it might "break" the image when listening to surround concerts, no?

Thanks in advance for educating me in that field, I know nothing about it! Have a nice day!

67jason 09-14-2013 10:31 AM

I have used towers as surrounds in the past and enjoyed them very much. I did raise them about 8 inches so the tweeter was just above my ear level when seated and the surround image was awesome. Currently I have bookshelf speakers mounted to the wall with the tweeters being about a foot above ear level, and while it is good, I preferred the towers, but current room configuration won't allow for them.

Best thing for you to do is experiment to find what sounds best to your preference of surround imaging in your room.

Perry R 09-14-2013 10:53 AM

I've been using arrays for both fronts and surrounds.
They work quite well, and tweeter height is, well, top to bottom....biggrin.gif

FMW 09-14-2013 12:24 PM

As with any speaker, you should place them where they sound best.

Aarghon 09-14-2013 04:40 PM

Jason: hehe im reassured, I was already havin nightmares jacking my towers up 2 feet from the ground!! What did you use to safely raise them? Cinder blocks isn't an option for me , now at least !

Perry: You seem to have quite a buck or two invested uh =P

FMW: THe mind is a strong thing, it can convince you that you are ok while you aren't =) I prefer some guidance, and after that a little tweaking !

Perry R 09-14-2013 05:23 PM

Nah, not as much as you might imagine.
DIY kits from reputable designers have me
way above my price point.

Aarghon 09-14-2013 07:38 PM

Perry: Wow, those are DIY? Awesome!

67jason 09-14-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

Jason: hehe im reassured, I was already havin nightmares jacking my towers up 2 feet from the ground!! What did you use to safely raise them? Cinder blocks isn't an option for me , now at least !

nothing sophisticated.

you know the spindles that 100 blank cd-r's would come in, one of those under each speaker.tongue.gif

Aarghon 09-14-2013 08:26 PM

lol Jason, would never have thought that those spindles could support that much! Nice solution, though haha

William 09-15-2013 01:53 PM

Old pic but the B&W's are still back there.

Aarghon 09-15-2013 09:12 PM

Holy sh**, a lot of people would kill to have them as fronts lol! Very nice! What did you use to raise them?

William 09-16-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

...What did you use to raise them?

They are setting on the floor. At about 46" tall they don't need raising and the tweeters are at ear level.

Aarghon 09-16-2013 04:10 PM

Ah ! Thought you raised them! since there is a decent space between the couch, it surely doesn't sound too "focused" and distracting uh?

Blacklightning 12-06-2013 08:32 AM

My makeshift setup for watching all 6 Starwars movies with my kid (for the first time)

I put together 3 of my 2-channel setups and "borrowed" a Sub from Future Shop.